Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

What coulda-shoulda been...

I had an experience about a week ago that I think you guys might get a kick out of. So I am out chasing gold near a spot where I have picked up a few nuggets over the years. I am just swinging along when all of a sudden the detector goes into overload. It actually startled me because up until that point the only target I had hit was a mellow sounding bird shot. I looked up under the bush to see if there was a rusty pipe or a hubcap or something, but I couldn’t see any obvious junk targets. Unless it was a 1-pounder I knew it was way too loud to be a nugget, but I scratched away the topsoil thinking I would at least get it out of the way. As I am moving dirt my pick hits something that goes “Thud” and sounds hollow.

I brush the dirt away with my fingers and my heart skips a beat when I hit a wooden board. A piece of wood with a few nails pounded through it is no big deal, but when I go to lift up the board I see a cavity beneath, and guess what? Inside that opening is a sealed metal box!!! :blink: At this point I have no clue what I’m dealing with so I holler to a friend to come take a look. When he finally sees what the commotion is about his eyes get huge too. My hands were shaking as I pulled this box up and out of the hole. It appears to be an old ammo box. It was too small to have a dead body inside, so we figured it must be something good, like a cache of old coins, gold, paper money…who knows! I take a deep breath and undo the clasps allowing the top of the box to open. When I open my eyes I see “treasure” but not exactly the sort I was hoping for. Inside are toys, pocket change, a calculator, pens, a printer cable – you name it! A note is stuck inside saying, “Congratulations to the lucky finder of this Geocache…”

So my box full of gold doubloons turns out to be a geocache instead. It was a letdown, but we both got a good laugh at what “coulda-shoulda been.” I signed the notepad and added a few trinkets to the box for the next finder. If anyone out there does accidentally come across the box, don’t be so quick to walk away, there are nuggets to be had nearby…Happy hunting everyone!

post-28-0-14167700-1446064247_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-44140600-1446064257_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-29576900-1446064268_thumb.jpg

I too found a geocache wile out detecting in northern Ca. i found an old house site the only thing left was the fireplace .It was behind a rock in the back of the fireplace . I singed the paper and put it back for the next person .never thought I would find anything like that .

post-38279-0-34590600-1446135169_thumb.jpg

post-38279-0-16047000-1446135219_thumb.jpg

I found one up in Northern Nevada up around Spring Valley, didn't touch it, knew what it was immediately.

Speaking of old dynamite boxes...here's one I found a few years back in the desert. It was empty, otherwise it would have stayed right there. Probably came from one of the nearby copper mines to the south.

post-28-0-05688300-1446232236_thumb.jpg