Sign in to follow this  
bado1

November (so far) Round Up

Steve and I re-visited the "desert dink patch area" yesterday and this morning and added a few more to the tally. May be our last session for a couple of weeks as we have deer tags to fill. Here is the November take thus far....

post-36139-0-26664600-1447013329_thumb.jpg

Steve's (GPX-5000)

post-36139-0-96449500-1447013303_thumb.jpg

Mine (SDC-2300)

Steve found a new use for his pick yesterday. Turns out that it makes a pretty good beheading tool!

Check out the rattles on this guy....

post-36139-0-97352000-1447013355_thumb.jpg

Fourteen buttons!!! What a stud!

We don't usually kill them but this guy was too close to camp for comfort.

Good Luck!

Dean

Dean if it was me I'd put them Deer tags on the back burner but each their own. You sure had a good time and lots of luck to go with it. Nothing like the color of gold to make you all warm inside and a smile on your face.

The Best.

Chuck Anders

Dean ... I'm with you on that. I'm at deer camp now and will be for awhile! The gold will most likely still be there when I get back!

Wow, nice stuff!!! :) You guys have done well down there, congrats on the newest additions!

I'm with you on the snakes. I hate to kill them and will go around whenever possible, but if they are near the house or camp, they gotta go. A while back I got a nice signal under a bush. I went down to dig it and boy am I glad I looked before reaching in there. This fella was all business and it would have really ruined the day.

post-28-0-76144900-1447109655_thumb.jpg

Oh man, that's a nice one, Chris :o ! Great pic too! I can hear him buzzing!

Rule of thumb number 1 in the desert....look before you reach in!

I'm curious as well..... Did you recover the target?

Dean

After spotting him I decided the target could wait. I wandered off down the wash for a few hours and picked up two small pieces for about 3-grams. Good news is when I came back, the rattler was long gone. Bad news, it was just a bullet, but at least I walked away venom-free :)

I am all for the live and let live philosophy too, unless they don't rattle. I have no use for a snake that comes from a gene pool that doesn't know enough to rattle to at least give someone fair warning to move in another direction.

Out in Gold Basin I have ran into Mohave Greens that regardless of how much noise you make or banging the pick on the ground to cause vibrations, they just lay there quietly waiting for you to get within striking range. No bueno!

One early morning I pulled onto a dirt road and laying in the road sunning itself was a Mohave, it was the most beautiful shade of emerald green. I stopped my truck short and got out to take a picture. I was at least 30 feet away and as soon as I walked to the front of my truck, he started rattling. I took my picture and got back in my truck and took a wide loop around him to let him resume sunning himself. I liked it that he went on high alert really quickly.

Doc

Snakes have personalities just like people do. You just never know. Be careful out there.

Mike

It's not that they don't know enough not to rattle, actually it's the reverse! A few years back I heard a zoology expert say that recent studies seem to indicate that more rattlesnakes were not rattling because the ones that did rattle many times ended up dead, and therefore were eliminated from the rattlesnake gene pool.

I am all for the live and let live philosophy too, unless they don't rattle. I have no use for a snake that comes from a gene pool that doesn't know enough to rattle to at least give someone fair warning to move in another direction.

Out in Gold Basin I have ran into Mohave Greens that regardless of how much noise you make or banging the pick on the ground to cause vibrations, they just lay there quietly waiting for you to get within striking range. No bueno!

One early morning I pulled onto a dirt road and laying in the road sunning itself was a Mohave, it was the most beautiful shade of emerald green. I stopped my truck short and got out to take a picture. I was at least 30 feet away and as soon as I walked to the front of my truck, he started rattling. I took my picture and got back in my truck and took a wide loop around him to let him resume sunning himself. I liked it that he went on high alert really quickly.

Doc