Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Arizona Evolution Gold!

One of my good friends, who also happens to be in the gold business, sent me these great photos today. Retta, also known as the Gold Lady, knocked out this incredible gold & quartz specimen using the all new Nugget Finder 17x13” Evolution coil on her Minelab GPX-4800. According to her and her hunting partner, this 6.6-gram nugget came from an area that they had both previously hunted hard. Amazingly, it was found inside of a hole that had already contained gold but had been dug out and detected. They attribute the find to the new coil. I agree, but would add that her skill with a detector and persistence were also a big factor…Congratulations Retta & thank you for sharing with us!

post-28-0-40949500-1447886786_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-49294100-1447886794_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-19941300-1447886801_thumb.jpg

Wow, I am getting some great stuff today! Here is another email & photo that came in from a fellow AZO forum member who is out in the field at this very moment re-working his old patches with the 17x13 Evolution. Here is part of his email:

“I had my first NF 17x13 nugget in hand before 9 AM. Just a half gram BB at about 8", but my first with the coil and I was happy!!! Performance of the new coil on my GPX-4000 is surprising me. It doesn't just find the larger nuggets. Smallest one today was 0.18 grams found under about 3" of sand and approximately 3" down in rotten bedrock. In my opinion this coil is really more sensitive than the 17x11.”

Hopefully he will have even more goodies to share when he returns from the goldfields. Congrats to this hard working hunter!

post-28-0-62276800-1447887226_thumb.jpg

Conversions error I think in there Adam?

My personal feeling is that the 17x13 Evo is a lot like having a 16" RM and an 11" RM wrapped up into 1 coil with a convenient elliptical package. It feels about like swinging a GPZ coil weight-wise, no free lunches. It's not unbearably heavy or anything though, it's ok.

I did some tests and put them on youtube for any curious, 17x11 vs 17x13 Evo vs GPZ. I'm not in the biz of advertising products but I will say this is first "new generation" of coils where I've found repeatable, measured differences (other than stability) from the previous gen of coils and I like this coil.

One of my good friends, who also happens to be in the gold business, sent me these great photos today. Retta, also known as the Gold Lady, knocked out this incredible gold & quartz specimen using the all new Nugget Finder 17x13” Evolution coil on her Minelab GPX-4800. According to her and her hunting partner, this 6.6-gram nugget came from an area that they had both previously hunted hard. Amazingly, it was found inside of a hole that had already contained gold but had been dug out and detected. They attribute the find to the new coil. I agree, but would add that her skill with a detector and persistence were also a big factor…Congratulations Retta & thank you for sharing with us!

One thing left out here, the 7000 had no clue this chunk was there? Cant explain why not, but the Evo said dig !

NF 17" X 11" ADVANTAGE VS NF 17" X 13" EVOLUTION

I hope everyone had a really good Thanksgiving. Being too full of turkey and too lazy to work, my detecting partner, Mike G., and I are going to give our claims a couple of weeks to rest up. Now that I am back where internet is available, I thought it was time to post some information about my new NF 17"X13" Evolution coil. First, a big thank you to Chris Gholson for getting my new coil to me so quickly.

My every-day detector/coil for the last couple of seasons has been a Minelab GPX4000/NF 17"x11" Advantage. This combination has been very reliable and worked well for me. The mono coils seem to be best for the conditions I normally encounter. Depending on the terrain, I may switch to a NF12"x9" or a NF 25". Reading some early results posted on Aussie forums prompted me to order one of the new NF 17"x13" Evolution coils from Chris before they were available in the US. I have now done extensive, side-by-side testing of my old 17"x11" and the new 17"x13".

Test patch testing was done by switching coils back and forth on the same detector with the same settings. This was done in two separate test patches using both my GPX4000 and, then, a friend's GPX5000. In both patches the targets were placed using a removable core pipe which allows an almost in situ target environment. Patch #1 is in very mild ground with a smooth surface (perfect detecting). Patch #2 is in hotter ground with a rocky surface and has been in place for years (more realistic detecting). Results showed a definite, measurable improvement in sensitivity for the 17"x13".

Field testing was done on our claims that have been detected with VLF's and GPX's for years. No coil switching was necessary because I had determined the 17"x13" was the more sensitive coil. Testing was done on old known patches. I used the GPX4000 and my partner used his GPZ7000. When a target was found with either detector, we then checked to see if both machines could find it. Sad but true for me, the GPZ did find gold that my GPX could not. The good news is that I did find gold that I had previously missed. Some of it was "crumbs" that I never could hear with the old coil. Finding the crumbs keeps me going so that I can find more of the larger nuggets, too. More good news is: targets in very hot ground (incl. "black sand") were more detectable--so far, no false signals when I get aggressive in bushes!

The slightly heavier coil was not a problem after using it a few hours. More sensitivity gives the coil up to a couple of inches more depth. It is better in hot ground and will find really small nuggets.

My opinion is....this coil was well worth buying. A definite upgrade for my GPX!

post-42253-0-91155400-1448672375_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of the nuggets found. Smallest found with the new coil to date was 0.08 grams @ 3".