Sign in to follow this  
DOC

Starting off 2016 with 4 nuggets

Got to the gold fields Wednesday January 13, 2014 around 6:30 am. Brisk!

Went to the place I took my customer December 31 when we got on 8 specimens and no trash. I was sure there had to be one or two I have missed. Worked it for three hours, and no love at all, decided to try another place.

I had a customer I had sold a GPZ7000 to a while back I had trained this person the better part of the day, walking along side and listening to what they were hearing through the speaker. They were digging trash and bullets with no problems so we went looking for something that looked fresh. I found this beautiful little gully that just looked so right.

So I said work this gully right here and take your time. I told them I would be a few ridges over in case they needed me just shout. So I wander around and come back to the gully my customer is in, if they were working it right they should have covered only about 20% of it. But no, they were halfway down the gully already so I knew they were going way too fast.

I turned my machine on and started at the top of the gully. 30 feet down the gully right on the side next to a bush I get a subtle little target, so I call the customer back up the gully and tell them to run their coil over that spot right by the bush and tell me if they hear anything. Of course they did and proceeded to dig up a nice little 1/2 gram nugget. It was getting late in the day and so we headed for home without actually thoroughly checking that gully.

So anyway I thought about that gully today and thought I really needed to go back there and work that gully because I know my customer was working it way too fast. About 1/3 of the way down the gully I get an unmistakable target on the side in amongst some cobbles. No way you could miss this unless you didn't put your coil over it. 2.8 grams at 10 inches. Then all the way at the very bottom of the gully right smack dab in the middle 6 inches down, another nugget. On the way back up I worked the sides up out of the gully and snagged two more little ones.

I think the biggest hurdles for new detectorists are two things. 1. They can have the best machine, but they have no confidence that there is really gold in the ground and they can find it. This is not a hobby for pessimists. 2. No matter how much you drill it in to them to go slow, their idea of slow is at least three to four times faster than what you have showed them SLOW is.

So anyway, ended the day on a high note. First outing for 2016 and 4 nuggets, and one weighed more than a gram. Can you imagine that, a nugget from Gold Basin that weighs more than a gram? I know! Right?

Doc

post-211-0-75992100-1452817492_thumb.jpg

post-211-0-58728300-1452817505_thumb.jpg

post-211-0-11399000-1452817531_thumb.jpg

post-211-0-24553200-1452817549_thumb.jpg

post-211-0-18762100-1452817616_thumb.jpg

Nice gold, Doc.

Slow is a very difficult concept. I still have to force myself to slow down my sweep speed and my forward progress...especially when I am covering new ground. It is so easy to miss nuggets and still think the ground has been properly searched.

fred

Fred you are an experienced prospector. I am sure you sort of do what I do. You adjust your speed according to conditions. When you are in conditions and ground that your experience tells you might be rich, you slow down. If I am on the very top of a ridge, you will not see me moving slowly, because I have rarely found a nugget on the very top of a ridge. But if I am in a quartz strewn gully I slow down and work the base of the bushes lining the gully hard.

But when it is someone new to the hobby, they have to go slow. They have to learn where nuggets can be found. You can't tell them, "Adjust your speed according to your experience." Because they have no experience.

Now I try to be nice. When I train someone, if I am following up behind them and find a target they missed I let them know. I call them back, let them hear the target with their detector, I let them dig the target and if it is a nugget they get to keep it. And I trade off back and forth.

When Hoss Blackman was teaching me, if I missed a target, he would call me back. Let me run my detector over it hear it and dig it and recover it. Then he would take it from me and put it in his poke and keep it and tell me, that was for not hearing it the first time.

Well let me tell you, that slowed me down really quick. The day came, when I graduated. About 5 trips in a row I was finding nuggets and he was following me doing cleanup, and had not found one nugget in 5 trips of following in my footsteps. He told me, "You have finally learned how to detect and not leave gold behind. My work is done here."

Hoss was one of those bigger than life fellows. I feel honored that he taught me what he knew. I never did understand why he took a liking to me.

Doc

I hear you, Doc. I have tried to help many people along the rocky gully of life.

A very few listen to the lessons the rest just keep doing what they are accustomed to doing...

I like Hoss' tough-love approach, that will sharpen your attention!

fred