Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

12" NF EVO Coil gets two thumbs up!

This past Monday I met up with Mike Furness to do some detecting and test out Nugget Finder’s newest 12” Round Evolution coil. I wanted to see not only how it would perform in mineralized soil and hot rocks, but also if it really could find targets that had been missed by other machines with non-Evolution coils. The location we picked in central Arizona was great for all that. This old patch had noisy ground, loads of hot rocks, and has seen just about every type of machine under the sun since about 1993.

The actual size (land covered) of the patch had been small, but it was exceptionally rich; with some nuggets weighing as much as 1.5-ounces. In fact the person that showed it to me in 1996 had found several nuggets ranging from ¼ to ½-ounce simply lying on the bedrock in plain view! Unfortunately, those nuggets don’t grow back, so pickings on the old patch now are slim to none. The last time I hit it with my 5000 I only found two modern day bullets and a piece of wire; no gold. This trip I didn’t expect to find anything, but knew if I did, it would speak volumes about the new coil.

After three hours I left the old patch with not only a big smile, but also a rattle in my bottle! I used the GPX 5000 with an Rx Gain of 11, Fixed ground balance, and Sens Extra timing. What I noticed first was how amazingly stable the 12” coil was. I got no falsing at all even when I banged the coil into the ground, rocks and brush. I also noticed that EMI was no trouble at all, even though there were numerous planes that flew above me during the afternoon. Because of this, I found it necessary to turn up the Threshold slightly higher than normal. The patch is actually the remnant of an ancient river channel; I personally believe an inside bend. I say this because all the rocks are smooth, rounded and obviously water-worn. They are also heavy, like large chunks of magnetite and even some granite boulders.

These hot rocks did not prove to be a problem. The larger ones would sound off, but I found a quick switch over to the Fine Gold timing would tell me if it was indeed a target or just a hot rock. It didn’t take long before I found my first target. It was so loud I thought for sure it was going to be a bullet on the surface. Much to my amazement it was just a tiny iron fragment that wouldn’t even weigh on my digital scale. One target could be a fluke, but after I dug a dozen more targets, two of which were gold, I knew it was the coil. The gold signals were not whispers...they were clear and obvious. They were in a spot that had been raked clean and detected countless times. Simply put, they should not have been there.

I would like to take the credit, but I know the new coil is the real hero. Total weight for both pieces was 1.1-grams. I was going to post photos of the patch because I know there are lots of guys here on the forum that have hunted this spot and could vouch for how pounded it is…, but after Monday I might give it one more go :) Happy hunting everyone!

post-28-0-22719700-1453333389_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-20419200-1453333403_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-40898800-1453333410_thumb.jpg

Great review Chris. Do you think this coil might bring the 5000 up to par or somewhere close to the 7000s performance?

Adam and All ... I was using my GPZ7000 ... not in the same wash as Chris but very close and another area that had produced in the past ... maybe 50-100 yards from where Chris was hunting. my score was a bit dismal ... all trash ... 14 pieces of flaky iron/tin can and lead ... however I was surprised how deep a couple of the lead pieces especially the bird shot was heard by the GPZ7K ... about 8 inches ... my span from the tip of my little finger to tip of the thumb when spread as far as possible is 9" ... the hole for the bird shot ... #6 I would guess ... was just under that. I was disappointed not to get gold from this area ... I'm going to have Chris go over it next time out with the GPX5K and the 12' Evolution. If he finds gold then I would say the Evo is definitely an equalizer. My guess is he will find a piece there ... any bets on it!? I hope to have a little time behind the Evo in the near future ... looking forward to it!

Mike F

Well, if a 300.00 coil made up the difference between a 6,000 & 10,000 dollar machine, then I`d say there would be a lot of depression going around. Coils of similar size do not seem to have an that big of an edge on eachother anyway...

Heck , I could probably go behind a GPZ user with my super cool SD ( coil of my choice for handicap) and squeak a nugget out.

WTG on the gold Chris B) Adam if the evo coils are anything like the elite coils which Im sure they are then they are deffinatly better than the prevous line of coils-I find gold every time out with my elite 11 and 14 coils-I sure am curious about the evo line of coils maybe down the road-its only money :unsure: Mike C... :ph34r: PS Adam alot of the Aussies are reporting that their 5000's with one of these new breed of coils strapped to it sure closed the gap between the 7 and the 5 and even exceeded the 7-some of them sold their 7"s and kept their 5's ;)

Adam and All ... I was using my GPZ7000 ... not in the same wash as Chris but very close and another area that had produced in the past ... maybe 50-100 yards from where Chris was hunting. my score was a bit dismal ... all trash ... 14 pieces of flaky iron/tin can and lead ... however I was surprised how deep a couple of the lead pieces especially the bird shot was heard by the GPZ7K ... about 8 inches ... my span from the tip of my little finger to tip of the thumb when spread as far as possible is 9" ... the hole for the bird shot ... #6 I would guess ... was just under that. I was disappointed not to get gold from this area ... I'm going to have Chris go over it next time out with the GPX5K and the 12' Evolution. If he finds gold then I would say the Evo is definitely an equalizer. My guess is he will find a piece there ... any bets on it!? I hope to have a little time behind the Evo in the near future ... looking forward to it!

Mike F

Hey Mike go over the ground Chris was at as well and see what turns up :rolleyes: Mike C... :ph34r:

Plan to Adam once he says he is done with that section. Just as curious as you as to whether there might still be a crumb left for the GPZ7K. I'll post once it is done.

I can't say a word about the NF EVO but if it's anything like the 8 x 6 NF Sadie coil it has to be great.

I pulled if off my 4500 to air test it on my white's SPP. It had another after market coil of the same size. After my testing of both coils I found the the Sadie gave me a little better than a 1 1/2 more depth. I'd do the same test with my 4500 but it's known unless the coil is made for Minelab it don't work. Not as well if not at all.

Chuck

PS If you have one of the TDI's from White's are the SPP you can use all coils that work on any GP detector.

Chuck, good point. The Nugget Finder coils are also compatible with the White's PI machines. In fact I was just talking yesterday with a customer from southern Cal that is using the 17x13" Evolution on his TDI. He is not in the goldfields, but rather the beaches and is absolutely cleaning up! He said easily over 50 silver coins so far, along with about a dozen gold rings; some of which are class rings dating from the 1940's. I am bugging the heck out of him to send me pictures and he promised he would. I will post those as soon as they come in.

Not yet Mike ... been too cold and the weekend snow put a damper on the time we could have gone. I still want to do it ... maybe when I am doing lessons Friday or Saturday Chris can come to the claims for a retest.

Mike F

I have both a NF 17x11 & the new 17x13 EVO. I have done testing & a lot of in the field detecting. My results show the new NF 17x13 is significantly better.

Seems less sensitive to EMI & hot ground :-) . Much more sensitive to really small nuggets with overall better depth!

My advice is call Chris, buy one and find more gold!

Chris

I had one of the first TDI's when they came out. I done some beach hunting and never before dug down so deep. That was with White's stock 12 inch dual field coil.

Now with this new 17 x 13 EVO coil he better take someone with him. He may need someone to help him out of the hole he dug.

I may over looked the price on the 12 inch EVO coil. So what is it?

Chuck.

Well, I took my new 12" EVO out for a stroll last Saturday. Sorry to say no GOLD but I was really on a mental health day, enjoying the delightful day on a familiar hill and seeing how this new coil handled things. I skimmed through old areas where nuggets had been found for the past 20 years by every machine known to man and by some of the very best detectorist/miners in the game. This coil behaved very nicely on my 4500. I was able to run in General search mode with the gain at 12, sensitive smooth and timings in Enhanced. I am very impressed with the fact that I am able to scrub the ground and bang it into bushes and rocks without false signals. It has no trouble going on its side or upside down, the threshold stays rock solid. While there was lots of airplane traffic, not one bothered me at all. Occasional ground balancing due to the red hot soil is normal for this hill and the EVO responded perfectly. I did notice that there was only one particular hot rock that sounds like a target, the stuff that looks like baked sand, all grainy looking but move it out of the way with my boot and problem solved. I did not use a bungee as working in the thick bush is harder with one but the ability to put the coil in from the top then slide it around bushes, without false targets by banging into things is just what I have been looking for, get as close to the gold as possible. I did find a boot tack, ¼” long and small diameter at 2 inches and should have been found before, sounded like a ¼ dwt at 3 inches. We did do an air test with a 5000 and a 14” by 9” mono, non blitz but extremely a deadly elliptical coil on a 1/4 dwt. flake. I am 5 or 6 inches to his 3. Made me a believer to keep it on and find some deeper stuff myself. Can’t wait to get back out and find some gold.