Mike Furness

Day Trip to Quartzsite on the Way Back From CO River

Met up with some old friends for a 24 hour side trip to Q from my week long trip of fishing(no fish btw!) and trail riding ... had a blast running the sand hills south of Ehrenberg AZ. Anyway on Thursday met up with Beatup and his brother for a quick hunt. Success with the GPZ7000! Got my largest Q nugget to date! The little gem had a little quartz on it and total weight was 2.478 grams.post-179-0-24472700-1455388670_thumb.jpg Thanks Bret and Eric for showing me your honey hole!

Mike F

All right ... Here is the short version of the story on the rescue. Many of you know Doc and Micah ... They have a great little all terrain rig that they built together. They were out exploring the back country mines and such when the rig decided to blow up the steering box. When we ... Shep and I ... heard about it we immediately set out to get them back to camp. After a few tries and failures to tow the machine with my RZR ... It could tow it alright but the steering kept causing problems even though Micah did everything she could to stabilize it. Now it's getting dark so I took Doc back to get his haul truck ... a Chev 3500 I believe ... so we could tow it back out. Shep stayed at the vehicle with Micah. Back at camp ... We grabbed Patrick and another guy named Tom I think ... sorry only met him briefly. Anyway we got the rig strapped to the back bumper of the truck with the rigs front wheels off the road and started the very slow and dusty ride back to camp. We did some damage to the back diamond plate of Doc's truck during the journey but the rig got back to camp and all people back without serious harm by about 9PM ... Micah re-split her finger down near the bone but was able to take care of it herself. So that's the story in a nut shell. The important part of the story is that Doc and Micah are safe and they didn't have to stay out with the rig over night!

Mike F

Mike, congrats on the newest Q nugget. I got to see it in person the other day and will say that the photo really doesn't do it justice. I think you should try some macro shots of the backside too where the gold is laced through the quartz. It's a beautiful specie.

Sounds like you, Doc & Micah had quite the adventure out there in the desert. I'm glad it worked out as well as it did. When I read your post I was reminded of another somewhat similar adventure up in Gold Basin a few years back. This photo still makes me chuckle! Remember this? :D

post-28-0-60465000-1455751940_thumb.jpg

I remember it very well up to GB couple years ago! :ph34r::rolleyes::P ... I actually saw Larry drive it into the hole and then high center it, try to dig it out and then floor it to try to get out digging him even deeper! Tom ... No accident there ... just inexperience and ignorance! Sorry had to call it what it was!

Mike F