Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

500+ Pound Nugget!

One of our customers sent in this awesome photo showing a “nugget” he found with his detector. This nugget is actually made out of copper, and like gold, they occur naturally in several regions around the US. I have detected a few here in Arizona that weighed a couple of ounces, but nothing like this monster which weighed in at 545 pounds!!! :blink: Although not as valuable as gold, copper nuggets are still highly collectible. Now he just needs a back yard big enough to store his new find! :P Congratulations and thank you for sharing..

post-28-0-51538000-1459377775_thumb.jpg

That would make a lot of pennies if pennies were still made of copper!!

As a specimen hard to say what it would be worth, but if sold as scrap copper, depending on how pure the nugget is I would say it would say if it's close to being pure copper the price would hopefully be somewhere between #2 copper and #2 communication wire, here the prices as of today.

Scrap Metal Prices

Metal/Material Per Pound Pricing Bare Bright Copper $1.80-1.90*/LB #1 Copper $1.67-1.77*/LB #2 Copper $1.50-1.65*/LB #2 Communications Wire (Cat 5) .50-.55*/LB

Thing is the size of a dang Volkswagen. Bet that wasn't quiet in the ol headphones.

Chris,

What his plan for these big nuggets?

Is he by chance in upper Michigan, that part of the state is known for copper and also big/huge copper nuggets/float?

Here's a video of a old fellow from upper Michigan, the first 5+ minutes is nothing much more than scenery where he finds big copper nuggets, jump ahead to 5:14 to see some of his big copper.

Here's a short story and photos from Bill and Linda's website of a another guys that detects for big copper in Upper Michigan, and gold in Nevada.

http://www.billandli.../jackbeebe.html

Here's a photo what they are saying is the world's largest piece of copper float, it weights 28.5 tons, and a link to a website telling the story of saving it instead of it being exploited for it's metal value.

http://www.awesomemi...m/float_copper/

sORK9lo.jpg

I've got a couple nice copper nuggets I've bought at the Tucson Gem Show. Guys from Michigan come down and sell them.

I only paid $30-40 for each one but I like to imagine they're GOLD nuggets sometimes :)

The vendors polish them up and put a clear lacquer on them so they shine. They also have partly polished glacier float ones that have green all over them. Cool stuff.