Sign in to follow this  
goldrivermike

Evolution coil cover re-tape ideas

Hi All,

I have completely worn out my Evolution coil cover tape, around the perimeter of the coil.

I was hoping few forum readers could post pictures of how they re-taped their coils or post other

ideas to protect their Evolution coils.

Thanks, Mike

post-44682-0-05975800-1464316795_thumb.jpg

Hello Mike,

I am on my second coil cover (skid plate) for my 13x17 NF EVO. I re-taped several times before I wore out the coil cover. I tend to "float" (not scrub <_< of course) my GPX coils on the ground when detecting and scrape over or tap against a lot of sharp rocks.

I just finished installing a new, heavy duty coil cover on my coil. I will give the procedure that works well for me when re-taping any of my coils and will attach a couple of pictures. First clean the coil and cover. Scrub the area to be taped with alcohol. Apply one wrap of GOOD* electrical tape overlapping the coil/cover joint. Stretch the electrical tape so that it conforms smoothly to the edge radius. This gives a good seal to the joint which I can't get using the non-stretchable coil tape. Wipe the electrical tape well with alcohol then apply the regular coil tape. Even when the regular coil tape gets fuzzy and beat-up like yours is you don't lose your seal on the coil/cover joint.

* UNDETECTABLE

I hope this is helpful. By the way Chris has the NF heavy duty coil covers in stock for us scrubbers. :rolleyes:

post-42253-0-77856000-1464374712_thumb.jpg

post-42253-0-92188000-1464374735_thumb.jpg

I Just run a small bead of silicone around the inside edge, put it on, and seal up the split line. Wont be taking it off unless its worn out and even if I do have to a butter knife will break the silicone.

Tom H.

I have been using DAP Kwik Seal Plus kitchen & bath adhesive sealant for years. I purchased a 12" NF Evolution a few months back and the first thing I did was to remove the Tape and replace with Caulk. All I do is apply the caulk around the inside edge of the skid plate and place it on the coil. No more dirt or dust in my coil. When the skid plate needs to be replaced, it is a bit more work removing than if it was taped on but its worth it not to have a tattered looking coin all the time with tape that has to be replaced time and time again. Just my take on this subject.

I Just run a small bead of silicone around the inside edge, put it on, and seal up the split line. Wont be taking it off unless its worn out and even if I do have to a butter knife will break the silicone.

Tom H.

Just make sure that you don't use silicone 'Adhesive' ... ONLY use Silicone CAULK! Getting the adhesive off is a real beech!

Mike F

Re-taped my 12" evolution coil cover, doesn't look great but its on good. Black electrical tape then over that with coil tape.

Found 4 little nuggets on my claim up in Nevada County today for 11 grains. I like this coil.

post-44682-0-97572200-1465008881_thumb.jpg

post-44682-0-52771100-1465008891_thumb.jpg

WTG Mike :)

Glad you were able to snag some yellow stuff!

I really like the coil also. Lot more sensitive then my ol 9x14 coiltek and I think its build a lot better

as far as falsing down the road. ...........the cover is rather thin though. But, what the heck :)

GL to ya!

Tom H.