Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

The Western Colorado Expedition

Hi Everyone,

My family and I have been on the road for the last two weeks and haven’t had much access to the Internet. We just got back into town and I thought I’d share a few photos and a bit about our adventure…

We left from central Arizona and covered a big portion of western Colorado. Our travels took us from Cortez basically all the way up to Grand Junction and everything in between. We covered some of the most spectacular country I have ever seen in the US. My personal favorite was the mining belt in the San Juan Mountains. The strip between Silverton and Ouray was absolutely stunning! It was hard to take in all the towering peaks and gorgeous alpine lakes. We took off on some of the backroads and found all sorts of abandoned camps, buildings and diggings. Some of the mines were at 12,000+ feet elevation, and I can only imagine the hardships the old-timers must have endured. There were still patches of snow on the ground in late June, so I can only imagine what Jan & February must have looked like! :ph34r:

post-28-0-26760600-1467757039_thumb.jpg post-28-0-58980300-1467757096_thumb.jpg post-28-0-35755200-1467757138_thumb.jpg post-28-0-78349100-1467757576_thumb.jpg

We also got the chance to explore the ancient Indian ruins at Mesa Verde. This was my first visit and I was blown away by the elaborate structures they were able to build in the cliffs below the mesa. If you enjoy history and are in the area, I would definitely recommend a visit.

post-28-0-74058700-1467757068_thumb.jpg post-28-0-27725200-1467757564_thumb.jpgpost-28-0-27436300-1467756986_thumb.jpg post-28-0-52190800-1467756990_thumb.jpg

The northern most part of the trip took us through Carbondale and into Glenwood Springs. I got the impression that this was predominantly coal mining country. Not much in the way of gold or silver, but we couldn’t leave without a visit to their amusement park which is actually built on top of a mountain! Most of the rides are perched on the edge of the cliff which only made them scarier. My six year old daughter laughed the whole time while I screamed like a little girl! :P The mountain was also home to a series of natural caves which we also got to explore. If you have kids, this must be a destination for your family at some point….We stopped at Telluride on the way home, but it rained for two straight days. The snow melt added with the new moisture made for some stunning waterfalls. My daughter had big plans to swim until she felt the temperature of the water! All in all it was a great expedition. Making memories with the family and escaping some of the Arizona summer heat was really nice, but now it’s back to reality. Any orders placed while we were closed will ship out today, and I am slowly getting through the voice mail. If you left a message during this time, you will definitely be getting a call back by tomorrow at the very latest. Thanks again, I hope you guys enjoy the pics! :)

post-28-0-32930100-1467757642_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-49569300-1467757692_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-57675000-1467757697_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-29264700-1467757777_thumb.jpg

Beautiful pictures and country, I live in Montana and personally knew Mr. Rick Radke use to detect with him a few years ago. Thank You

Thank you for sharing the travelogue and the super pictures Chris. Sounds like you really enjoyed traveling and exploring with your family.

SO I HAD BEEN THINKING ABOUT MOVING TO ARIZONA. I THINK I HAD BETTER CHECK OUT MONTANA FIRST. WAY COOL AND WTG ON THE MEMORY MAKING TRIP WITH THE FAMILY. CAN TAKE THOSES MEMORIES WHEREVER YOU GO FROM NOW ON. GOOD ONE CHRIS JOHN MCCANN

Welcome back to AZ Chris ... I'm still in NH for awhile and then off to Texas to visit with Jay for a couple days before returning to AZ just in time for the monsoon season to get going in earnest! Great pictures of the trip and write-up ... I saw some of that when I lived in CO back in the 70's ... maybe someday will take a similar trip hauling the camper behind ... just got to find a willing partner to share it with! LOL!

One thing for sure other than you find gold is that you go on some very nice vacations! Thanks for sharing your pictures. Makes me want to take my family on that same trip.

Thanks for the trip Chris! :)

" My personal favorite was the mining belt in the San Juan Mountains."......yah, go figure!

Can people breathe at 12000 feet? I struggle just going up to the rim lakes :)

Tks for sharing

Tom H.

Great pictures, what a beautiful area. That area of Colorado is one of the areas I want to get out with the travel trailer and spend a month. Just waiting for my wife to retire.