Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Have you seen this 12-pounder yet???

145-Ounce Gold Nugget Found with Minelab GPZ 7000!

*This story was just released by Minelab

The ‘Friday’s Joy’ gold nugget is expected to bring more than $250,000 AUD. It was discovered in a worked-over area at the far southern edge of Central Victoria’s Golden Triangle on a recent Friday morning by a seasoned prospector wishing to remain anonymous. After discovering a 9-ounce tennis ball-shaped gold nugget more than two feet deep with his Minelab GPZ 7000 the previous day, he went back for more.

post-28-0-76301600-1472146532_thumb.jpg

“I thought it was rubbish at first, maybe an old horseshoe,” said the prospector. “About 12 inches below the ground, I could just barely make out the top of something. As I began to scrape away the clay and dig deeper, I really couldn’t believe my eyes - this wasn’t an old piece of steel in front of me. I had just unearthed a colossal gold nugget - a once in a lifetime find! I was in total disbelief as I didn't think nuggets of this size were still around.”

post-28-0-27673300-1472146541_thumb.jpg

Prospecting on weekends for over ten years in search of coins, relics and gold, the keen detectorist had made a pact with a couple of his closest mates, also avid hobbyists, pledging an oath to split the proceeds on any large gold finds found when the group went prospecting together. After alerting his cohorts and having a few celebratory beers, the next order of business was to decide what to do with the nugget. “It’s like catching a big fish and not knowing what to do with it! Where do we put it? I washed it in water, covered it in aluminium foil and kept it in my oven on the first night.”

post-28-0-22652700-1472146547_thumb.jpg

The lucky finder says he plans to purchase a van and travel Australia when time allows, mixing travel and sightseeing with his love of detecting and prospecting. As for the nugget, which is now sitting in a bank vault, a replica is currently being constructed and auction plans are in the works.

To learn more about the Minelab GPZ 7000 metal detector visit: http://www.arizonaou...-gpz-7000/1329/

Oh my gosh, I feel a bout of golf fever coming on big time. Have you booked your flight yet Chris?

Oh my gosh, I feel a bout of golf fever coming on big time. Have you booked your flight yet Chris?