Sign in to follow this  

OK ... 3 years of traveling around on my boots have about worn them out ... you can only GOOP them just so many times before the GOOP doesn't hold up anymore.

QUESTION: what are you guys who have bought recently found for metal free boots. The ones I have are no longer in production or so I have been told! And wear did you buy them?

I use a 5000 and 7000 99% of the time so I need metal free especially when I use medium to large coils.

Thanks,

Mike F

The Reabok boots that I purchased look just like those Chris. They are Reebok number RB8895. Very comfortable but even though they are sold as metal free, they set off my detector. If you buy that model number be sure and check them with your detector before you start wearing them.

Must be careful of the steel shank in some of them that appear to be metal free. Take your pin pointer with you shopping :).

I recently bought a couple of pairs, Mike. A lace up made by Keen ($150.00) from Sportsman's Wear House and a leather pull on like the Aussies wear called the Blaine Orson ankle boot by Sketchers ($60.00 Amazon).

The Keen are quite comfortable and water proof but the tread is already showing signs of wear. A chunk came off from boot scraping. I'm not exactly gentle with my boots! If a pair of boots lasts me a year between detecting and hunting I'm a happy guy. Lots of boot scraping and many miles destroys them quickly. I like the look of the Reeboks that Chris showed. I've had the pull on Sketchers only for a couple of weeks and, thus far, I'm happy with how comfortable they are. With a $60 price tag a guy could get a couple of pairs for the price of one of the other brand. The new Sportsman's Wear House in Prescott has a good selection of boots.

Dean

Mike, I spotted an interesting boot from Reebok the other day. No metal and about $123, maybe cheaper if you hunt around.

Chris ... That is an identical copy of my favorite Converse Boots! I wondered what happened to them as I know Converse no longer makes the model I have.

Thanks.

The Reabok boots that I purchased look just like those Chris. They are Reebok number RB8895. Very comfortable but even though they are sold as metal free, they set off my detector. If you buy that model number be sure and check them with your detector before you start wearing them.

Dick ... Must be the same boot as the old Converse ... It's stock number was C8896. 'C' stands for Converse aand 'RB' stands for Reebok I bet! Mike

Rebbok also make a boot RB8896, this boot seems to be discontinued on Reebok website but there seems to be some still at retailers.

https://www.us-elite...boot-desert-tan

http://www.uscavalry.com Reebok and other brand Composite toe boots come with composite shank, Side zipper has metal pull tab and zipper slide for zipping .(I replaced my metal pull tab with Zip ties) lots of other boots that are very detector friendly. Reebok soles are not durable. Vibram soles are the way to go if you want long lasting soles. careful if u get side zippers as some manufacturers cut corners and made cheap zippers. My alternative Zipper (I made non-metal by removing brass eyelets) good for boots with any 8 or 9 eyelet lace up system. http://www.copquest.com go to categories then click on boots.

Mike this boot maybe sorta what you are looking for?

http://www.lapoliceg...mens-rapid.html

Yup! That is the one ... Thanks! Little more money than it was as a Converse but for my feet it is the best boot.

Mike F

How good does your boots hold up to Cholla/ cactus going through the bottoms???

Dave

DD ... Both my New Balance and Converse boots have no problem preventing spines from other than minute surface penetration on the soles ... the man-made uppers ... well ... that is another story! Many times have had to remove my boot ... painfully I might add ... to pull a spine out of my ankle or lower leg! No doubt without my snake gardz that I wear ALL the time a snake could penetrate the uppers!