Sign in to follow this  
kyle

whats happened to the forum

I like following this forum. I just do not get out to make a contribution to the Forum. I am Mostly "retired" from my nugget detecting days. I maybe get out 3 times a year. I use to live in Redding in the early 70"s. Got back there last month to relive the excitement of the old days. I did find a 3 gn and and a 1 dwt piece over about 6 hrs of actually swinging the coil with the Nokta Fors Gold in all metal and with small coils. In all metal mode it gives a little more depth than my original F75 - which I used for years. I like the lightweight of both of these detectors and my back seems as good as ever.

I keep looking at the new technology of the PIs. Yet I cannot justify the price for the few times I get out. The older Minelab PI used models have "issues" which keeps me from looking at those models now. I used those models too when newer. I guess I would get back in the game if a PI detector with say 18" to 24" on a one ouncer and in a lower price range came on the market. Maybe the Garett? I have a few areas where I could spend a few days with such a detector. I predict the next gold rush, maybe equivalent to the 49ers, will be Eithiopia. This is my year end Forum contribution for 2016. Lance

I would go just the opposite. I say there’s less new blood that’s needed to keep this going. I believe interest in small scale mining is near dead. I’m late 40’s and feel like a young guy when I go to any gatherings. I tried to get my younger coworkers out, but if they go once, not twice.

The federal govt’s ban on dredging, closing of prospecting lands, and mostly video games are to blame.

I would like to see attendance at gold shows, metal detector sales, and membership in clubs like the GPAA. I would guess they’re down also.

Kyle,

The forums have seemed rather quiet lately. I assumed it was just that time of year. I know we have been dealing with craziness both with the business and family events. I'm betting once the dust settles from the holidays we'll start seeing more activity, plus I know a lot of our members travel to warmer parts of the country this time of year and usually settle in after Christmas.

How about you, finding anything?

Looking forward to it beatup! Logged a nice one with the GPZ7000 this morning down here ... 9.4 grams. That one post is for you Kyle ... wouldn't want to keep you in suspense too long.LOL! I haven't seen any posts of your finds ... any?

Happy New year to all ... Hope to see many of you next year as I will be doing a lot more prospecting than the last few.

Mike F

i'm about a 1/4 mile or so south off of the Tom Wells exit 5 ... I should be back there mid morning on Monday.

Hi Mike,

I know you were having some trouble uploading from your phone, so I went ahead and resized the photos. What an awesome find!!! :lol: I hope there are more to share by next week - keep it up!

post-28-0-03465800-1483135271_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-41854500-1483135279_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chris ...!!!!

Did I happen to mention that it was 9.4 grams!!!! :rolleyes: :P

Thanks to Chris we got to see your pictures. Looks like you had to dig for that one Mike. Good looking nugget!

beatup ... a couple washes further west! Hope you can make it here by Friday.