Sign in to follow this  
SkyWalker

Super magnet question

I do not know if this has been discussed on the forum previously and I missed it but is there any danger to your detector or coil getting a super magnet to close?

I'm interested in the answer.

I'm not sure what you mean by a super magnet, but I think you mean a neodymium magnet. Many put that at the end of the digging pick when we dig. Sometimes my pick and magnet set the detector off when I'm digging a target. This happens for my Minelab VLF and PI.

I definitely keep it away from the electronics box, but then again, I hang my pick at my side on my belt, so I'm sure it gets close.

I still dig up about 50 targets a in about 4 - 6 hours.

I believe they're called rare earth magnets,I have three or four of them on top and bottom of my picks blade

I have not read any warning regarding rare earth magnets and damage to coils...or detectors. That said, I never pass the magnets close to the control box...if there is any iron in the thing it will try to move it...that can't be good.

I don't worry much about the coil as it has windings of copper or non-ferrous material...I suppose the magnet could induce some current into the windings...

Hmmmm, maybe some one that actually knows these things will reply...we all want to know!

fred

Just don't get one close to your wallet it can wipe clean the magnetic strip on a credit card.

Yep...I've learned that the hard way several times! ... Cheers, Unc