Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Early mining camp hunt

My detecting partner Dean and I spent some time over the weekend hunting the remains of an old mining camp deep in the mountains of Arizona. Aside from a few foundations and scattered rusted metal, virtually nothing remains of this once bustling town. It took some hiking through the cactus, but we eventually found it.

I dug all sorts of do-dads, but my personal best find of the day was this lovely 1897 Liberty Head nickel, or sometimes referred to as the V nickel because of its reverse (or tails) design. The obverse features a left-facing image of the goddess of Liberty. This five-cent piece was struck for circulation from 1883 until 1912. I found it using the Minelab CTX 3030. Although not a particularly valuable coin, they are nevertheless a rare find in a state as “young” as Arizona…I hope you all had a great weekend – stay cool out there!

post-28-0-17007800-1501533429_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-79663200-1501533439_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-12764200-1501533450_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-62460600-1501533458_thumb.jpg

Nice finds Chris!!

That's just a neat find Chris. Does a person clean up a coin like this?

Mike

Mike, you never want to clean any collectible coins, you will decrease the value anywhere from 50% to 75%, that being said you can sometimes have a coin professionally cleaned, this is best done by the companies out there that grade coins, i.e. PCGS, NGC, etc., they have coins experts that know how to clean a coin without de-valuing it, most importantly they know when to stop or not clean the coin at all.

Chris scored the find of the trip with that beautiful nickel. I found some do- dads detecting with the Nokta Impact but my best find was made by eye...a complete old medicine bottle. Some nice looking country that just begs to be hit with a GPX as well.

Dean

Nice find Chris ... And to answer the question above ... NO! Do not clean it up other than to get the loose surface dirt off of it. The value is with the aged patina ... not the shiny new look! Please don't make your old coins 'new' again!

Mike F

Thanks guys!

Delnorter, I agree with the others about not cleaning old coins. It's best to leave them as close to original as possible. All I did with this one was some warm water, a dab of soap and a toothbrush to remove surface dirt. But I am much more aggressive with my clad finds; those get tossed into the tumbler.

That nickle looks great Chris. I have never found a US coin from the 1800's. I'd swap my next nugget for a find like that. ?

I found a 1898 Indian head penny in great condition at the old townsite of Deadwood(CA) once. Great looking coin until I washed it with soap and water.

The complete face of the coin disappeared !! You could not even read he date anymore.

So....... be careful with coppers

Great finds Chris.

LipCa...I lived in Scott Valley for 23 years and hunted that Deadwood area a few times ... Found a small gulch there that someone had recently pulled a multi-ounce pocket from ... I wasn't much into detecting then and just sort of let it go ... Not sure I could find it again but would love to go into that gulch now with my 4500 ... They hit the pocket with one of those old BFO detectors ... Just imagine what a PI machine could do!!! ... Cheers, Unc

Ron,

There were some big "gully washer" over there a few years back. Opened up some good bedrock on Deadwood creek but was on someone's claim :(