goldrivermike

Detecting in Amador and Calaveras Counties California

Any suggestions,

I recently moved to Jackson, CA which is in Amador County. I have read a lot of old mining books and have purchased the proper BLM map for the area but I am having trouble finding a place to detect for gold. Its mostly hard rock mines here and all on private property. I know its a lot to ask but if anyone can suggest an old hammered out spot in either Amador or Calaveras County, I would appreciate the help. PM me if you prefer rather then post it.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi Mike,

As you must know... you are in a very good area for gold... I can give you a few leads on some areas around there... But, before I do that... I would suggest that if you don't have it already... That you get a good "Garmin GPS" and a purchase copy of https://www.onxmaps.com !!! Because it is very Important to know exactly where the "Private Property lines and BLM & USFS borders are... and I would also suggest a copy of http://www.minecache.com to overlay GoogleEarth show where the active claims and closed claims are located. These two things...will help avoid any issues you might have If you go into areas and unknowingly cross on to private property and then avoid being greeted by a angry property owner with a deer rifle ! There is a lot of Private Property up there!

I always start with GoogleEarth before I go to any new area.

OnX Maps sells an overlay for GoogleEarth and also an app for the smart phone. ( I have all of them )

So by doing your home work first ~ you will be able to have a good Idea of the lay of the land before you go in there.

When you return > if you use the GPS you will have the track to overlay on GoogleEarth to see where exactly where you were.

At lease thats what I do.

Gerard

Here is an Ancient River Channel Map > Yes there are hard rock mines but the geology around here is diverse ~ There are areas around you with both gold bearing quartz stringers mixed together with up thrust shale and tertiary deposits.

I attached a map you can see general areas that these ancient river deposits are located in.

Also because of the California dredging ban a lot of very good producing river claims are now either up for sale or defaulted back to the BLM & USFS. the flip side of that is that opens up great exposed bedrock to detecting! if you have a water proof coil the last winter loaded up all the pockets cracks & crevices .

(I don't want to mention any particular area on line.)

post-65562-0-35671000-1502431913_thumb.jpg

Lots of ground in Amador & Calaveras counties is private property or BLM ground and about 70 % of BLM ground in Calaveras is landlocked with no access from public right of way.Even if you know people who have potential detecting areas on their property they're not likely to give you permission due to the liability issues and the outlaw detectorists who've been hopping fences for the past 15 years or so.I've been gold prospecting in Calaveras for 40 years and the times have changed immensely.Back in the late 1970's a person could gold hunt lot's of areas without being bothered.These days with all the legal & illegal marijuana grows,fence hopping,grape vineyards and cattle grazing areas your up against it.The tertiary rivers that are exposed in Calaveras County are very deep with the bigger gold on or within 10 feet of bedrock in most cases and not within a detectors reach,if you could get permission to hunt that ground.As Gerard mentions there are many open mining claims that you can research through the county assesors offices and the BLM offices in Folsom & Sacramento.Not trying to discourage you,just a little info from a 40 year gold hunting resident of Calaveras County....Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. I'm discovering that Amador and Calaveras counties are much more restictive for public land access then what I'm am used to in Placer and Nevada counties.