Sign in to follow this  
bado1

Smooshed "V" Nickel

I hunted around an old mine this afternoon with the Minelab E-trac. I've scored a Barber dime and a "V" nickel here in the past. Today's find was a bit odd though. At first I thought I had found a smashed Peso because of it's size. I could tell that it had originally been a coin of some sort. It appears that the miners used it as a washer or something as it has been pounded in to a slight concave shape and has some deep cuts in it where something heavy had laid upon it. It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what it is.

post-36139-0-29894300-1504669529_thumb.jpg post-36139-0-41972800-1504669591_thumb.jpg post-36139-0-13612300-1504669619_thumb.jpg

I can just barely make out the "V" on the reverse. The obverse is smooth and, of course, no date to be seen.

Found the usual overall buttons,etc. but this was the odd find of the day.

Dean

I recently found a coin like that in a wash. When I first picked it up, I thought it was a coin blank, because it had the old copper black color, was the size of a penny, and was flat on both sides. When I examined the coin in the truck, I saw it was a late 1800's penny. Probably one of my most interesting finds. I think my coin had been in the wash for about 130 years.

Dean,

My son found a large cent up here where we hunt and it is smashed also. It had a Indian head penny placed under it and they were smashed together. He only found the Large cent though. I beleive some kids layed them on the ore cart track. Like we do today on railroad tracks. Cool find.

post-36815-0-54932100-1504722213_thumb.jpg

post-36815-0-87157200-1504722245_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys!

Nugget 108, That is an awesome find! Congrats to your son.

It seems I was a bit premature on the "V" nickel. Chris and I talked about it over lunch and he thinks, as do I now, that it started life quarter sized. So, I took it and weighed it.

.75 grams more than a "V" Nickel. And it IDs on the E-trac a solid 12-41... Too high for a nickel. Gonna have to do a bit more investigation. Hopefully, we can figure it out.

Dean