Sign in to follow this  
goldrivermike

Should I have my GPX4000 modified?

To All,

I have a GPX4000 which works fine but I am considering having it "modded"; "improved performance through customized electronics".

Can someone share their experiences with having their GPX modded and who did the work?

Should I have my GPX modded?

Thank You,

Mike

Northern California

Personally, I see no need to mod a GPX. Maybe you should look for better ground to run your coil over. Brand new 4800 and 5000 models are cheap. Just sell and step up.

I agree!

My personal experience is:

I sold my 4000, bought a 4500 and a nugget finder evolution mono coil from AZO. That combination is lighter than a 7000 and performance in the field is almost as good.

I did the same thing a couple yrs back, due to minelab not supporting/repairing 4000 anymore, went to the 4500 a new one. Then I sold off the stock coils and kept the 11" dd, bought a 14x9 evo and a 14" round elite. Very satisified with the extended depth of the elite and evo coils.

I found more gold with my 4000 than I did my 5000, I would invest in an Evo coil 14x9.

I have a 4500 bought about a year after it came out. Had issues with it after awhile and after a trips to Minelab for repair to no avail, sent to Woody, he found and repaired the problem and did a mod at the same time. Impressed how quiet it ran.

A couple of years ago, sent in for the latest mod, adjustable front gain. Last year was tough on me prospecting, so hadn’t had a lot of chances to test. A friend who had his 5000 modded came down to Quartzsite and helped me set it up. Picked up a test ‘nugget’ at 16”.

Last month at Dome Rock, at a get together, using a ‘tool’ Patrick designed, I planted a .5 gram piece of lead at 16”. My modded 4500 sounded off a couple of inches high, Bill Southern’s modded 3500 also sounded off well. A stock 5000 could not hear it. A famous detectorist from Las Vegas scrubbed his 7000 over the target and could barely hear it.

Bottom line Woody’s mods work!