Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Great weekend for a hunt!

This past weekend I was given permission to detect a fairly old private ranch here in Arizona. It seemed like the perfect test area for the new Minelab Equinox 800, so my buddy Dean and I loaded up the detectors and headed out. We spent nearly all our time searching the area around the original house, which had been torn down and replaced with a newer home in the 1950’s. As you can see in the photos below we found a ton of targets and managed to cover the top of a huge, old stump. The rancher was blown away and had no idea there was that much metal in the ground.  

We came up with lots of stuff, but what surprised me was the lack of coins. I mean, we did find a handful of Wheaties and a couple of silver Mercury dimes, but not as many as I would have thought. The only thing I can figure is that although the ranch had been in the family a long time, there had never been many people living there. Some of the coolest finds were several military buttons which we think may have been from WW2, old engraved lipstick tubes, harmonica reeds, and a concho off a saddle which had the ranch initials carved into it.

The machines ran flawless in the high trash, and there is no doubt in my mind that there are more goodies to be had. Unfortunately we were getting into the area at the wrong time of the year. The weather was good during our trip, but the desert it is really supposed to be warming up. I imagine by the end of this month it will hit the 100 degree mark. We did pass a squished Mojave rattlesnake on the road, so definitely be cautious out there; they are on the move! If anyone can shed some light on the military buttons it would be appreciated. Happy hunting everyone!

IMG_4504.jpg

IMG_4407.JPG

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4495.JPG

I LOVE my NOX 600! Congrats on the great finds, and those buttons are WWII I believe http://www.quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/wwii_uniforms/usbuttons.html

Thanks Terry! You nailed it.

The Equinox is an awesome machine for this type of work. It's so fast it has little trouble sifting through the trash.

We had a great weekend and wound up with some cool finds. Thank you, Chris!

Dean