Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Ron

Chris, it's pretty much all spam now!

Signed in to say ditto.... am signing out now until spam goes away...

Right guys, been doing the "mark forum read" click every day for about a week now.

Chris, if you don't have the time to monitor/police the forum, I'm on it almost every day and given the authority and instructions I'd be happy to delete the spam threads and the thread creators. I know Steve H. and Rob Allison appear to have the safe forum software as you do - they never seem to have spam. I have seen software that asks for a verification code to be used when signing up for a forum this is to prevent spammers from signing up using auto-sign up software rather then actually being live on the system. It works really well, you alomost never see spam on the systems that use it.

Mike

Hi Everyone,

All this spam has me pulling out my hair. Ever since the upgrade we have seen a whole lot more of it. I am trying to figure this out, but to be honest, I'm a whole lot better with a detector than I am a computer! I have messed with some of the filters, so hopefully that will slow things down. I do apologize for the hassle. Hang in there, I can see some light at the end of the spam tunnel...

You might want to check with either Steve H (can't spell his last name) or your cousin Rob. They have the same forum software and neither ever seem to have any spam on them.

Mike

On 4/16/2018 at 1:18 PM, Chris Gholson said:

Hi Everyone,

All this spam has me pulling out my hair. Ever since the upgrade we have seen a whole lot more of it. I am trying to figure this out, but to be honest, I'm a whole lot better with a detector than I am a computer! I have messed with some of the filters, so hopefully that will slow things down. I do apologize for the hassle. Hang in there, I can see some light at the end of the spam tunnel...

Chris, for what it's worth all of the Spammers I've seen posting since you upgraded the forum were registered prior to the upgrade, most if not all registered in the fall last year...October and November, so it doesn't appear that any of them are new here after the upgrade and once you ban them you shouldn't have nearly as hard a time keeping a handle on this issue, you just have to keep eliminating them as they popup/post spam, I think you may be past the worst part as of now.

Most of not all of these "members" are most likely the same "Bot" that did a mass registering using sightly different emaill addresses last fall.

Edit: Well I guess I spoke too soon this latest Spammer who just posted 3 topics and is still posting as I type so maybe more to come registered in the fall of 2016, either way no new registrations with all these spammers.

Yes, fortunately the spam is slowing fading away. I would agree that most of those users registered some time ago and only managed to sneak through when the new upgrade took effect. I've been banning and deleting them like crazy, so with any luck they will be a thing of the past by the end of the month. Thanks again to everyone for your help and support. 

HANG IN THERE CHRIS.  IF IT HELPS AT ALL, THE CRAP IS ALL OVER THE COUNTIES AND STATE EMAILS HERE IN CALIFORNIA  THIS IS A SUPER FORUM, AND I THINK ALL OF US ARE WITH YOU    JOHN MCCANN