Jennifer Bond

Why we don't go into mine shafts......

As of this morning, he is out and in the hospital. Both legs broken and various other injuries, in allot of pain. 62 years old and apparently does some kind abandoned mine hunting along with a neighbor of his, who is the guy that found him and called for help.

Mike

This guy is lucky to even be alive. People ask me all the time if I go into the old mines. My usual reply is that the only thing you'll find at the bottom of those abandoned mines is trouble. Unless a person is highly experienced, better to stay out and stay alive...and I agree, taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill for stupidity. 

As much as I'd like to see him receive the bill, if he's using a carabiner that breaks and no back up and repelling with cowboy boots, I really doubt he could afford to pay for either the rescue or the hospital bill.  If he was airlifted out, the helo ride alone is $1,000 per minute of flight time.  The bill would disappear into debt collector purgatory never to be seen again.  This would probably be a thing where the county spends thousands to prosecute the case and receives nothing in return.

I'm really surprised there's not more of these accidents.  I've been looking at old tailing piles by shafts and seen old 2 X 6s with Wal Mart Rope tossed down a 45° shaft.  Lots of people enter them.  It's got to be for adventure, because the mines weren't closed because they were making money hand over fist.