I dug this up the other day and have been wondering what it might be. It came from a very old mining district which dates back to the mid 1800’s. There are no markings that I can see. Each of the little discs are smaller than a dime. Could it be a pair of cuff links? I appreciate any input.

IMG_6301.JPG

IMG_6305.JPG

Chris,

`GREAT FIND!!!

They look like silver cuff links to me!  Was this with the CTX EQX? ....  The numbers would tell you if they were silver  or not ?

Gerard

I believe thats what you have found Chris. Looks pretty similar to these. Very cool find.

il_fullxfull.871356234_2pl0.jpg

Thank you guys for all your help with the identification. I'd say it is cuff links for sure!

Gerard, I actually found it while hunting gold with the GPX-4500. I was expecting a nugget, but this was a nice surprise. I have found lots of nuggets, but never cuff links :P

Looks like you're not the only one wondering about these... cuff links seems to be the winner answer, check out the pics in this post, bit of a design on these, is the design still visible on yours Chris?

Jen

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/28949-18th-19th-century-cuff-links.html

Thanks for the link Jen! I didn't see any designs on mine, but it is still pretty dirty. I will try gently cleaning tonight to see if anything appears beneath the crud. 

Here's another weird find I made that same day. This one should have been a nugget for sure. It was just downhill from where the patch was and was buried about 8" deep. I knew it was a half ounce at least, but instead pops out this retro wristwatch! I have no clue how it got there...I was just glad I didn't find an arm still attached :P

IMG_6277.jpg