Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

New spot - new coil test drive!

I was able to get in some detecting right before that snow storm hit central AZ earlier this week. I headed out to a spot that I have been eye-balling for a while. All the geological indicators for gold were there, so I figured it was worth a swing. I decided to take my new Nugget Finder 12x8” EVO coil out for a test drive. It performed beautifully on my Minelab GPX…actually almost too well. The sensitivity is unbelievable and I found myself digging shards of metal that were so small I had a hard time spotting them in my hand even after they had come out of the ground. The depth was good as well, but it was the overall sensitivity that blew me away. In really trashy spots this might be a disadvantage, but for patches that held lots of tiny nuggets and have been worked hard, the new 12x8” is in my opinion the way to go. A perfect size coil for wash or creek bed hunting.

I didn’t hit any new patches, but I did score this 1.4 gram piece. The most challenging aspect of this area was the sheer amount of magnetite. Just about every wash I walked was loaded with black sand and the bedrock cracks were packed with heavy black hot rocks. They were noisy for sure, but I found I could work the ground by backing off the Gain, holding the coil slightly higher than normal, and moving a little slower. Now that I know there is gold I might try some dry-washing  this spring to see how much fine gold those washes carry…Anyway I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and 2019 if off to a great start!   

IMG_6451.jpg

IMG_6453.jpg

The NF Evo coils are "the bomb" ( in any size). The 12x8" seems to be the perfect answer for cleaning up a patch.  Like the little "Sadie" coil,  it seems to be the perfect size for getting in to those tight spots where a larger coil just can't go. Nice work. Thanks for sharing your test results!

Dean