Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Lots of Snow in central Arizona

We got blasted with a major snowstorm here in central AZ last week that kept dumping snow from Thursday through Friday. My house got covered and it took me about two days of shoveling to finally dig out. This was definitely one of the largest storms I have personally seen in this area for the past ten years. All the mountains in every direction are covered in white. It is a beautiful to look at through the window, but not so great for prospecting. If anyone is thinking about heading up to the northern Bradshaw’s in the next few days, they may want to reconsider. The roads in town are open, but I bet many of the dirt roads leading to the gold areas have yet to be plowed. Some areas got over 24”, so it’s going to be nasty for a while. If you do head up be sure to dress warm and don’t forget to bring a shovel! Be safe & stay warm out there!  

IMG_6757.jpg

Thats crazy Chris. Looks like our neck of the woods here in northern Nevada. I have 2 plus feet in my yard.

Stay warm down there.

We had about 30 inches here in Payson. I grew up in Prescott and have lived in Az. 52+ years and this was the most snow I have seen in over 20 years. Very impressive amount of snow in the amount of time it snowed for sure. We certainly need it. Should be some serious increase in reservoirs this spring. We'll take all we can get. 

However, keep your eyes on the future. We are going to have very warm weather this week and possible rain in higher elevations this weekend. If we get rain up on the Mogollon Rim with all the snow that is currently up there, we will see significant flooding in the valleys below. All the creeks up here at intermediate elevations are all rising and running fairly high now as the snow is melting fast. I won't have time myself, but the next couple weeks should open up dredging opportunities for those in the know on some normally dry washes in Az. Could be a fun time and I wish I had time to participate. Dennis

Only got about 10 inches the past week at my place at the 3000ft elevation in the Northern Sierras.  Almost all gone with rain the last two days.

Hawkeye, I heard lots of snow could still be headed towards the Sierra this year. They were calling it an 'Atmospheric River',..whatever that means. It sounded like the Donner Pass area got blasted. A bulk of the snow we got in that last storm is melting fast. With all this water I almost wish I still had my dredge! :P

One week after the storm of storms at least for this part of AZ my snow is all gone. My driveway is a mess but it will dry in next couple days. And then we are supposed to have a few showers over the weekend. If they don't become down pours all will be back to normal soon!