Sign in to follow this  
Reno Chris

Jim Straight passes away.

I got the word that Jim Straight has passed away in recent days. I last saw and spoke with Jim a bit over a year ago. He spent several hours on both Saturday and Sunday in the ICMJ booth with me at the Pomona GPAA show. He was a good man and wrote many articles for the ICMJ. It is sad to see him go. Jim was a great pioneer in the world of metal detecting for gold. He was on site for a great many famous old gold finds with metal detectors. Yet ye was very tight lipped about those locations. A lot of great secrets passed with him. It was always great to chat with him as we traveled a lot of similar paths - we both graduated from the Mackay School of mines, but about 30 years apart. We both spent a lot of time prospecting around Randsburg, CA and the northern Nevada placers of Pershing and Humboldt counties. I will miss our talks, as will so many other prospectors.

jim_straight01.jpg

I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of Jim Straight. When it came to electronic gold prospecting, he was truly one of the greats. Jim saw the entire evolution of the metal detector starting with the BFO and progressing all the way to the modern PI. His work experience included being a prolific author, working for Kennecott Copper & Eagle Picher, a school teacher, the Army Corp of Engineers, and as a mining consultant. He was such an amazing guy who was so full of knowledge and always willing to share it. I was extremely lucky and got to spend a lot of time with Jim as a young man in my 20’s. Some of my best memories are of us bumping along a dirt road in his old pickup while he talked geology. We got to prospect all over the Mojave Desert and even up into Osceola district. I will always cherish our time spent out in the goldfields and the many lessons he taught me about mining. You will be missed my friend…RIP 

js1.jpg

js2.jpg

js3.JPG

Hey Dain, what a great photo! That's the old Jim I remember too :)

Yeah your son has grown just a bit since then, lol. Last time I saw him he was only a teenage and was taller than me back then!