I thought I’d share this funny story with you guys. The other day I went out to water my garden. I have several hoses around the yard that I have hooked up on old wheels. This works really well and keeps the hose up off the ground and out of the way. The only downside; I discovered it makes a great hiding place. As I reached for the hose something looked wrong and instinctively I jerked my hand away. The hose was looking at me; only it wasn’t a hose, but a four foot Bull snake! :blink: He had wrapped himself around it and blended in perfectly. Man, you want to talk about getting the blood pumping! Luckily not a rattler, but he sure gave me a scare…Be safe out there everyone, these critters are definitely on the move. 

IMG_8460.jpg

IMG_8450.jpg

IMG_8462.jpg

Really cool pictures Chris.  Thanks 

I had heard that they will actually eat a Rattler, but wasn't sure if it was true. I'm glad to know that it's not just a rumor. He is welcome to stay and keep eating! :) 

Now that I live closer to town I don't see half the rattlers that I used to when I was living on top of the Bradshaw Mountains. There were heaps of them up there, especially the Arizona Blacks. This is one of my favorite rattler photos. I spotted him in the driveway just as I was leaving the house and he gave me this classic pose...Can't say I really miss seeing them. 

AB.jpg

My cousins used to keep a bull snake in their shop on the farm just keep the rattle snakes out of it  work real good.

Boy that rattler and it's classic pose reminds me of one I ran across about 2 months ago down around Bumble Bee.  Only difference was that mine was a very brownish-red & black coloration, which blends in very well with the terrain down there.  Mine was just as contankerous, and didn't back down even an inch when I walked up to take a photo of it.  Gary

SAM_1525.JPG

Here's one that I "could-have":wacko: stepped right on had I not recognized it curled up laying within an old deteriorated cow pie recession.  It also had almost blended in with it's surroundings.  It had actually been asleep when I walked up on it from behind.  I didn't bother it; went on up a way detecting, and then returned about an hour or so, and it was still there, and still asleep!!!!  I thought it was dead, as I was looking right at it face to face.  So I got a long stick and had to pry it out of it's (comfortable) hole.  It just slithered away into the brush, and i headed home.  Gary

S1.JPG

s2.JPG

S6.JPG

A thank you to everyone for posting the pictures.  Give a look but give them their space.  This old Arizona guy lets them alone but I won’t share a camp with um.🙄

You wanna know what's more frightening than that snake....

Seeing how talll your daughter is when it seemed like just yesterday that I was congratulating you when you announced the pregnancy... WTH has time flown?????????

Wow....

PS: I'd still be putting on new depends after that snake episode...

GPZ7000, GPX-5000 and 4500 and all related gear for sale cheap? Have lost all interest in detecting all of a sudden .....  taking up fishing, will trade all for boat with small outboard... OY VAY IM GONNA HAVE NIGHTMARES TONIGHT!!!!!

23 hours ago, Jennifer Bond said:

GPZ7000, GPX-5000 and 4500 and all related gear for sale cheap? Have lost all interest in detecting all of a sudden .....  taking up fishing, will trade all for boat with small outboard... OY VAY IM GONNA HAVE NIGHTMARES TONIGHT!!!!!

Disregard, I picked up some new snake chaps... I'm back on track.... I have some minor falsing issues to work out but I think I'm good to go....

Anyone have a pick with a 4' handle for sale.... yea, having some issues with the bending down to dig as well...

PS: All humor aside, thank you for posting this Chris, a coworker shoots at Ben Avery in Phx and was doing an archery event there and got nailed as he was running from target to target and the bill eventually was over $100,000.. $50,000 of which was just anti venom... this is serious stuff

Jen

Women+in+practical+armor_855f2a_6503734.jpg

When I was a kid in Arizona we called them red racers. They are non-venomous.  As a kid I got bitten by one that I grabbed too far behind the head. 🙄  They are very quick. 

1 hour ago, dick ward said:

When I was a kid in Arizona we called them red racers. They are non-venomous.  As a kid I got bitten by one that I grabbed too far behind the head. 🙄  They are very quick. 

When it comes to snakes in AZ, as far as I'm concerned they're all racers cus the minute I see one, everything for 360 degrees around me is a 1/4 mile track and I'm already at the other end of it....  I'll send the national guard in to retrieve my detector..

Hey Chris I imported a couple 4' Gopher(aka Bull) Snakes  about 4-5 years ago . 2 years ago I found a skin in the yard that was a little over 5'. I haven't seen a rattlesnake of any type in my yard the last 3 years. The first year I moved here in 2011 ... that summer alone I saw 14 rattlesnakes. I'm sure some were the same snake but haven't seen any in the last three years so having my 'pet' Gopher Snakes' in the yard with their off spring I am sure has wiped the buzz tails off my 10 acres. Maybe the Bull is a relative of my snakes since you are only about a 1/3 of a mile across the field from me.

Yes, Dick, after more thinking ( that hurt a lot) I realized it was a racer...they are fast!

Jen, the trouble with running is this...will you be running into trouble or away? Being from Oz I would think you would have the "no worries, it'll be right, Mate" attitude.

fred