Chris Gholson

Detecting season is off to a great start!

This weekend my prospecting partner Dean and I were able to get out for our first official gold hunt of the season. The desert got a little warm around mid-day, but the morning was absolutely gorgeous. The two of us decided to revisit a spot I had found last year. I was out doing some exploring when I came across some ground that immediately caught my eye. Not only was the soil colored red and stained from iron, it was covered in a mixture of rounded quartz, magnetite, and broken greenstone. Time was not on my side that day and I only had about an hour to hunt. Luckily I found one tiny nugget that confirmed this spot did indeed carry gold.

Well we went back to see what else may be hiding. Both of us were using the Minelab GPX detectors outfitted with the Nugget Finder Evolution coils. I ran the 15” round and Dean opted for the 14x9” elliptical. Fortunately I didn’t have to wait long. My very first target turned out to be a small 0.3 flat nugget! This was a good start to the day. The hot rocks were absolutely horrible. They moaned and groaned on the machines, but we persevered and by lunchtime we had 5 nuggets! None were very big, but this tiny handful was a great way to kick off the winter season. Here is a pic of the gold and one showing off the highly mineralized conditions of the patch.   

IMG_8954.jpg

IMG_8952.jpg

Congratulations to you and Dean.  First hunt first gold, can’t beat that!