Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Old spot - New gold!

I headed out this weekend to check out a spot I hadn’t been in well over a year. It was a fairly good sized wash that had produced some decent nuggets for me before. The weather down in the desert was beautiful, and I was excited to see that the summer monsoon rains had really shifted the gravels around. I came across several new stretches of bedrock that I had never seen before. 

I knew it was going to be a good day when I turned on the detector, took three steps and hit a signal. I dug away the rocks on top and hit a reddish layer of dirt sitting on the bedrock. When I finally had the target in my hand I almost couldn’t believe it. There was a lovely chunk of gold starring back at me – my very first target of the day!!! :D I continued my way up the wash, working both the newly exposed bedrock and some of the deeper stretches of gravel that I may have overlooked before. I did dig a handful of junk targets, but two more of them turned out to be gold. I finished off the day with three nuggets for a total weight of 2-grams…Here’s a few pics of the freshly dug nuggets. All found with the Minelab GPX and 15” Evolution Mono coil.  

IMG_9118 - Copy.jpg

IMG_9121 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9125 - Copy.jpg

Thanks everyone! I am working on a video right now from that day and I hope to have it finished and posted up to the Arizona Outback YouTube channel tonight.