Sign in to follow this  
LowPoint

My "Ugliest" Gold Nugget Ever!!!!

Well, it was bound to happen eventually, and today it did,.....I found my "ugliest" gold nugget ever!!!! I was exploring some new ground when I got a real strong and well-defined signal just under a 4"-or-so (shelf) drop in exposed bedrock. The small (10" round ) area was covered with green grass, which also contained an over abundance of intertwined roots that really became a pain when trying to clear them away. Every time I swung my coil over this area ( after pulling out dirt and small rocks) it .....screamed...., and gave off the same noise as I had heard 6-times today after unearthing 6-chunks of varying sizes of lead slugs. I briefly considered blowing this target off as just another chunk-O-lead,............But, considering that the statement: "Dig-every-target" has proven benifical to me (many times) over the years, I continued with my pursuit. I eventually dug all of the dirt and rocks out of the area down to a depth of about 6", with solid bedrock remaining. The signal continued screaming each time I swung the coil over the area, but it was hard to pinpoint exactly where the target was, even when I used my pin pointer???!! I used my small (90-deg.) angled screwdriver to pull any dirt, etc. away from under the back edge and side corners of my exposed area, but the target continued being allusive, and over and over ...screamed... as if to mauck me saying: "I'm still here!!!"" The only thing I finally noticed was a barely-noticeable crack in the flat-bottom of the bedrock that ran about 2" long towards me. So I started scrapping everything out of the crack with my angled-screwdriver. The crack was only about a quarter of an inch wide, but I then discovered that it went down about an inch-and-a-half deep, and was filled with a very hardened and crusty clay-like material, which, made it hard to scrape out. Again my coil ...screamed... when I swung it over the area, but this time my pin pointer went off as well showing me right where (down almost 2" in that little crack) the target was. I wasn't getting all of the fine dirt out of the crack with my screwdriver, so I leaned down as close as I could and blew the fine dust out as best as I could ( I didn't have a straw or tube to use). Then low and behold I could "finally" see a very small (faint) speck of gold peeking back at me. It turned out that the nugget was on-edge vertically in that crack, so I used my ice pick-type tool to get under the nugget to pry it out. When I got it out it looked weird and dirty, and was not like the clean-buttery-colored gold nuggets that I have become used to finding over the years. I even try'd cleaning it up at home with some soap, tooth brush and water,..........and it's still "Ugly,"..and is a bit magnetic ( the dark and boring coloration is iron crystals attached to the nugget). Guess I'll let it soak in a bath of nitric acid to clean it up.  Gary

SAM_1775.JPG

SAM_1776.JPG

Way to go Gary on the new nugget! Pretty or ugly, I never toss any of them back :D I agree with Geof, a little dip in a mild acid and I bet that baby will shine. Keep up the good work!