Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Weekend Success; added a few more grams

I got out for some detecting over the weekend and came home a few grams heavier. I went down to the desert and it was actually warmer than I thought it would be this time of year. I think on Saturday it was every bit of 85 or more. I dug so many junk targets which is probably why it felt so warm. Some of the holes were as deep as 24”!

I came up with a total of four nuggets for 3 grams. I kept chasing those deep, deep targets hoping that one would be a multi-ouncer. Well no big lumps, but I accumulated an amazing collection of rusty nails if anyone is interested :) I also came across this cool old metal lid. It says Shillings Best. Any ideas what it could be from? I thought perhaps a tobacco can?

IMG_9364.jpg

IMG_9361.jpg

IMG_9348.jpg

Hey Chris,  

Wonderful Chunky Nuggets there diggin deep holes hidden beneeth the trash! Proving that persistence pays off in the end!!!

One time I dug an old Miners enameled plate down three and a half feet that had a wonderful sweet signal with my GPX4500.   I had to come back a week later with a shovel to finish the job! I could only get down 2.5 feet with only çvv v my pick...  I was hoping for a one pound nugget!!! Lol!  all that it was a beat up miners Plate

As for the Schilling Lid... it could have been a number of food products.

Schilling sold dc Coffee, baking soda and spices. I found in one article that in 1916 Schilling came out with “Schillings Best”.

AUGUST SCHILLING arrived in San Francisco from Germany in 1870 at 16 years of age and soon entered the service of J. A. Folger & Co. Schilling’s great drive, initiative and intelligence won him early recognition. About the time he became legally of age, he was made a partner in the business, and the firm name was changed to Folger, Schilling & Co.

Late in 1879 George F. Volkmann was employed by Folger, Schilling & Co. as shipping clerk and soon attracted the attention of the partners. In 1881 Folger and Schilling decided to separate. Each of them offered Volkmann a partnership and he accepted Schilling’s offer. Folger continued the business and resumed the firm name of J. A. Folger & Co., under which it operates to this day.

The partnership of A. Schilling & Company was formed on September 8, 1881, with August Schilling having a two-thirds interest. At that time both men were 27 years old, having been born in or near Bremen, Germany, in February 1854. However, they were not known to each other while there.

Their first business location was at 122 Davis Street, San Francisco, where they engaged in the processing of coffee, tea, baking powder, spices, extracts and some other unrelated products which they supplied to the grocery trade. Many grades were offered and, as was the custom of the time, all were adulterated in varying degrees. For example, coffee was mixed with chicory, tea was artificially colored, cinnamon was mixed with almond shells, etc. However, their Pioneer Baking Powder was pure, consisting of refined grape cream of tartar and Englishpermonik.jpgbicarbonate of soda. The label on the can pictured a typical miner of 49er days bearing a pickax on his shoulder.

Gerard, thanks for the info on the Shillings lid. I have found lots of relics out there in the goldfields, but this is the first one of these I have ever found. After reading your post I'm glad I picked it up. Thanks again!