Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Their First Gold! Another successful class

This past weekend I hosted one of my metal detecting classes here in Arizona and got to meet some really great people. A few of the folks had to cancel due to sickness, so our group ended up being smaller than originally planned. Daniel and his wife Jeanette were from New Mexico, and Gary and his wife Janice were from Montana. The weather has been really wet, cold & unpredictable for the past week, but we got lucky on Saturday. We had cloud cover, but the rain stayed away, so it was the perfect day to be out prospecting. 

We had a wide range of machines out there including an SDC 2300, Equinox 800, GP3500, and an AT Gold. The area we hunted was heavily mineralized and there was no shortage of hot ironstones. It was a challenging spot to work, but like I told them, the worse the ground is, the better the gold usually is. After tuning and tweaking the detectors everyone got the hang of it and in no time targets were starting to come in.

Gary was the first in the group to score. He recovered a nice 0.5-grammer from some really noisy red dirt with his Equinox. Now Gary has found many coins and rings, but this was his first gold nugget, so it was extra special. This got everyone excited and it wasn’t long before I saw Daniel digging at the base of a prickly pear cactus. I walked over as he was recovering the target and his eyes lit up when he looked in his hand and said, “It’s a piece of gold!” This was also his first nugget!   

I decide to wander down the hill to a tiny little gully. There was some exposed bedrock so I decided to swing through. I only made about six passes before getting a signal. I was pleasantly surprised when I dug down about 4” and popped out a lovely half gram nugget down in a crack! 
We finished off the day with 3 out of 5 people getting gold, so all in all it was a successful hunt! I really enjoyed myself and I want to thank everyone again for making the drive out to join me. This was a highly motivated group and I know that more gold awaits them in the future. I hope to see you all soon!

P.S. There have been a few people here that have contacted me about these classes, and I will be hosting more this winter. My next class will be in January and I will be sure to post the date(s) here if anyone is interested. 

IMG_9453.jpg

IMG_9455.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

IMG_9471.jpg

IMG_9467.jpg

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_9491.jpg