GotAu?

Curious about 8" vs 11" mono differences.

Hello! It's a pleasure to finally become a member here!  So, for my first post on this informative forum, I am hoping to get some experienced observations regarding the differences seen between using an 8" ML mono coil vs. the 11" ML mono coil on a GPX.  I recently started detecting with an 11" ML mono in two areas that have small bits of gold, but also have lots of rocks and/or shrubs that are tight to work around.  Both sites have only very localized areas of mineralized ground.  Also, there are sharp v-shaped bottomed gullies at both sites that would be good to detect in, but they are tight as well.  So, I got an 8" ML mono coil and was wondering what people who have used both of these coils in the field think about them and what differences they have experienced between the two in terms of any optimum detector setting differences and coil performance differences (GPX setting differences, depth and detectable target size)?  Thanks!  

Hi @GotAu?  

Congrats on getting on here...  A Great Resource !!!

As for the ( 8”  vs. the 11” )  or... the 14” vs. the 18” or even the little 6” Sadi Coil... they are all tools in your tool belt!  It all depends on the Ground you are in...  

I Really like the "Coiltek Elite Coils on GPX 4500 the are an Amazing Coil that turned the GPX-4500 into 100X sensitive better machine 100X better than it ever was stock!!! I love  my 4500!!! It is truly an Amazing Machine with the CoilTek Elite on it!!!!!

I have the Elite 14” & also the Elite 8” Monos as my primary coils.    They all have there place...  If I am in quite Deep Ground I will run the Larger Coils... If I am close to bedrock i will run the smaller coils and  I will use the smaller coils in noisy mineral areas and areas with lots of Electro-magnetic & T.I. and also junky areas with lots of trash... I also run a Detech DD 8” coil that is also water proof when needed and That is whats on my 4500 right now...  That little DD is a great little coil too.   So to answer your question.... All of them are better than the other coils.... It all is depends on where you are using them....   That is why I have all of them!!! 

Happy Hunting!!!

The Very Best,

Gerard

Thanks for the reply, Gerard.  Yeah, different tools for different jobs is a positive.  I was mainly wondering about how the Minelab Mono coils at 11” and 8” compare in terms of  timing settings, sensitivity, etc., just to compare those two that I already have.  When I become more advanced with detecting with my 4500, I probably will start trying to fine tune my collection of coils with even different manufacturers offerings.

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it!

I have never used the Minelab 8” Mono coil.... but I have used the 11” but now that I think about it some more.....that 11" was a Minelab DD coil and But I liked the 11” the best out of all my Minelab Coils even the Monos  All my Minelab mono coils are collecting dust... The Minelab coils are rather heavy....    

But honestly, if the issue is sensitivity?   The stock Minelab coils still don’t even come close compare with the "Coiltek Elite Coils on the GPX 4500.   My Round Elite 14” will hit a fly speck sized  0.04 Au at 4 -5 inches and it sounds as loud as a 22 cal lead. With that coil.... I am not worried about missing anything with the CoilTek Round Elite 14” !   not even my nugget finder coils will do that!

Hope that helps...

have a happy 4th!

Gerard