Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Surprise target - look in the hole!

I was able to get out this past weekend with my buddy Dean for a morning of coin/relic hunting. It’s still so hot here in Arizona that you have to get out there super early, otherwise by noon you are cooking! We got in a couple solid hours of detecting and came up with a few cool finds. 

The metal cap gun was buried about 8” deep and almost gave me a heart attack! As I was down in the hole sweeping away dirt with my fingers the outline of a trigger guard appeared. Then, I swept a bit more aside and saw a handle. My adrenaline was pumping, I had found a pistol!!! :lol: (or at least I thought). Once out of the hole I quickly realized what it was. Not the outlaw gun I had initially thought, but still a pretty cool find. This one was made by Hubley Manufacturing Company of Lancaster, PA which was incorporated in 1894. This gun was not that old, but I am thinking perhaps the late 1940’s. 

The other interesting discoveries were the two metal pieces on the left side of the photo. These are Tent Slips, or a Tensioner. They are typically made of brass and were an integral part of setting up camps in the wilderness. From what I see online and it looks like they were patented in the 1880’s and used by the military, railroad builders, miners, etc. I also found a tiny silver buckle, a 1941 Wheatie, two harmonica reeds, and the back to a pocket watch. All found with the CTX 3030 and 11” coil. 

I hope all of you are well and surviving the summertime heat - stay safe out there!  

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

tent slip patent.jpg

Sometimes the research is more fun than the finding. The tensioner were great, a bit like the piece of a broom handle my Dad use to make when I was a kid. Very similar to the titanium one on my ultra light hiking/bushwalking tent. But the findings is hard to beat.  

The tensioners are cool. I managed to find one as well...a first for my collection. Apparently, the were made of brass until the Spanish-American war. After that they were made of aluminum. 

This area has multiple levels of age to it...you never know what you are going to turn up. Lots of exploring to do...when it cools off some.

Fun hunt as usual, Chris! Thanks!

Dean

Great hunt guys! My boys and I have found 2 of those "tensioners". Its great to know what they are now. Thanks a lot and great job!