Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Not coins or tokens - any ideas???

Hey everyone, I was out detecting this weekend and came across a patch of unusual metal discs. At first I thought they were tokens, or even baggage tags from a railroad, but they aren’t. I found two types, the first says: KINNER AIRPLANE & MOTOR CORP. The other says: GLADDEN PRODUCTS INC. They appear to be made of copper. 

I did find out that Kinner made motors and airplane parts, but went bankrupt back in the 1930’s. None of the resources online mentioned these little metal discs. Does anyone out there know what these are???

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1531.JPG

Chris,

Very cool!!!

I know... in some mines tokens were used by miners to show they were inside the mine.......They might also have done that in industrial factories too!  They would be put the tag on a peg board where the Portal, time-clock or in the Dry-room. to see who was in there if cave in or some other disaster happened... What you have there ...could be the work history of one miner...

nice find!

Gerard

I really like those Chris.  If you find out more about them please post.  It’s still too darn hot for me to get out and detect.

4 hours ago, Chris Gholson said:

Hey everyone, I was out detecting this weekend and came across a patch of unusual metal discs. At first I thought they were tokens, or even baggage tags from a railroad, but they aren’t. I found two types, the first says: KINNER AIRPLANE & MOTOR CORP. The other says: GLADDEN PRODUCTS INC. They appear to be made of copper. 

I did find out that Kinner made motors and airplane parts, but went bankrupt back in the 1930’s. None of the resources online mentioned these little metal discs. Does anyone out there know what these are???

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1531.JPG

All aircraft parts and engines from the 1930s to WW2 is all i could find also. Probably parts tags for identification purposes during assembly if i were to guess, BUT just a guess lol. Cool finds Chris!

Dan

Hey guys, thank you for the input. Based on the emails I've gotten, it's looking like these are probably Tool Tags. I don't know anything about them, but it sounds like they were used by companies as a way to identify and track their tooling...thank you again for all the help!