Sign in to follow this  

Hi All,

What do you do with an hour of daylight left and don't feel like loading up all your detecting gear to look for a bit of gold??? If you've got patience and good eyesight - go specking!

Specking is nothing more than using your eyeballs to spot a nugget or flake of gold. This is one of the most challenging ways to find the yellow stuff, but it is incredibly rewarding when you do manage to catch a glint of color lodged with a bedrock crack. Believe it or not, but I have met several people that enjoy specking so much they don't fuss about swinging a metal detector. What is even scarier is that some of these people have gotten really good at it!

Alyssa and I took a quick drive down to a gully not far away that I suspected carried gold. There wasn't much time, so we didn't bother packing along the Minelabs. Instead we settled down on a freshly exposed stretch of bedrock and I began explaining the finer points of where she should look. I was just getting on a roll when she hollered, "Got one!" I nearly broke my neck jumping across the slippery rock to see this "supposed" gold. Sure enough, she dropped a tiny little flake of metal into my hand. The rush was on! I handed her back the treasure and got busy myself straining my poor eye sockets. A minute later she pulled another, this one a bit larger. I looked and looked, but she skunked me; leaving with 2 "mini" nuggets for an hour of playing in the water.

We didn't break the bank, but it was sure a lot of fun. As soon as that gully dries up I know just where to make a quick pass with the 3500! :)

Chris,

Now that's what I call using the detector that God gave you! ;)

Nice little pieces. I bet there's more for you to find when you go back swinging!

Ah, to be young at heart. Specking together. Savour the moments! This is the kind of post that makes this forum so much fun to browse thru. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kinny P

p.s. Harsh reallity now is, Women - 2, Men - goose egg

Too cool Chris;

once when I lived in N. California I took my buddy and his Mom out to give them a panning lesson. She had never been gold-panning so we took her over to Nelson Creek, near Quincey on highway 70. As I was giving her the basic lecture on the the various places to find gold I mentioned that gold is often found exposed in the roots of trees near the creeks. I had hardly finished telling her this and she say's "what is this, Fred?" We look there, amongst the roots of a tree lay a bean sized gold nugget...Beginner's luck, I quess.

fred