Hi All,

I am looking for some mapping software to work in conjunction with my GPS. I have fiddled around with a version put out by Delorme and another by National Geographic, but am wondering if there isn't something better. Has anyone used the iGAGE?

Also, any suggestions on getting a new GPS. The only brand I've really used thus far has been Garmin etrex. Thanks in advance...

Chris,

Igage and maptech terrain navigator are 2 excellent programs the work very well in conjunction with a GPS and I have/use both. The igage system will convert old township and range values over to lat/long positions. This makes it very convenient when doing research with old mining records which locate claims using that method.

Terrain Navigator does not convert township and range, but it's graphics and 3-D capability are second to none. Plus you can create data waypoints on your map with information from your research including pictures and other data files.

Any computer will do to marry these systems... you just need the serial data cable for your GPS to the computer. You can use either a laptop or desktop in your vehicle for this electronic prospecting. When using a desktop in your vehicle, install a UPS system directly to your 12V battery, (most ups's use configurations of multiple 12V batteries anyway), and you will have conditioned power to your computer. Cheap computers are available everywhere these days. There are a few more steps involved with electronic prospecting, but this is the basic setup. My apologies if this is not what you're looking for.

As far as GPS unit's go, I like the Garmin line and their GPS60CS is working very well for me.

Take care. :)

Au Pan

Chris, you should contact Stan Ward, AKA StanTheman. He showed me his lap top, with it set up with a GPS attachment to go on it, it is very slick, the maps come right up on his laptop, and the gps hooks in and the clamps magnetically on the out side of his vehicle. as he move, the cusor moves on his lap top mapping set up. Slickest thing I have ever seen. Grubstake

Igage is excellent, but look at "Earthmate" it is GPS and has the cables to attach to PDA(cool because it tracks live and you can carry it and down load topo to it!) and also laptop for live tracking. Don

Chris,

I've tried several mapping programs and the iGage is the best I've found so far. I have it loaded on my laptop and use a Garmin USB-18 that plugs right into the usb port of my laptop. It updates my current position on the topo map every 15 seconds and is EXTREMELY helpful when trying to locate and get into a new area. It comes with 6 CD's of maps that cover the entire state and you can download them onto your harddrive so that you don't have to fiddle with CD's out in the field. If you want to take a look at my setup and see how it works, let me know. As Grubstake says, It's pretty slick!

PS - the only downside I've found to iGage is that you can't import external maps into the program. Or at least I haven't found a way to do it yet.

I have the iGage system and I use the Magellan Meridian Platinum, so far, no problems.

Call 1-888-450-4922 and see if you can't get sxet up as a dealer for their products, great guys

enjoy & HAGD

Allen in MT

Hello Chris ,

Get a real computer (Mac) and the MacGPS Pro software along with your Etrex and you will be on the right track . You can import maps of all kinds and you can scan maps and calibrate them into the program , if you like the aerial photos from terraserver they can be imported also and used as a map, they come in handy for the fact they show the trails that were there when the photo was taken and you can follow the old trails that might not be on a topo. Geology maps of the state can be imported and calibrated with known waypoints and you could mark features that are indicators and save them to bring up later as waypoints or a track log on your topo's. All the waypoint and track log data can be edited in a spreadsheet or word program . I have the whole state of AZMILS data processed with a spreadsheet program and converted them to waypoints . My next project is to convert all the claims data from BLM to waypoints and that will allow me to plot claims in an area as waypoints to bring up on the map.

Any Questions ?

Hey Chris,

I totally mirror what AU Pan says. I use the Garmin 60 cs and it is nats on . I use garmins topo software and you get free updates. As for IGage I've seen it at Desert Outfitters in Vegas and it works great. They use it to print out regular sized topos,

Sweet

AU = hiway 95

Cappy

Guest Just a Guest

Try the new Google Eart Mapping System (called Keyhole before google acquired it).

Try the Magellan Explorist 600

Hello Chris ,

Get a real computer (Mac) and the MacGPS Pro software along with your Etrex and you will be on the right track .

Hey Mike, what do you "dyed in the wool" Mac guys have to say now that Mac has announced they are going to be using Intel? ;)

Just kidding. :D

Bill

Is anyone else out there like me? You all say "try this" or "try that", or this one is the best etc. I have the Garmin etrex Legend and the National Geographic Topo software. I've got about $250 invested in this combination and haven't figured it out yet <_< So, now I'm supposed to throw it away and try something else?? I admit I'm not the sharpest tac in the box when it comes to tech stuff and software, but would sure love to get what I've got working. Sure I got a few things figured out, but can't seem to get the downloads and info transfers to work. And all the other features, well...???

Chris, if you wanted to set up a class for this stuff, and get somebody qualified to teach.. I'd sign up.

.........rf :)

Russ, I know what you mean!!! LOL. I would suggest you go to Garmin's website and get their number and call one of their Tech support guys and ask him about it. I have used them in the past and found them helpful. Good Luck...Don

I haven't even bought one yet because I've heard such horror stories about trying to learn to use them. I was planning on waiting until the Video Proffessor came out with an instructional CD on them. :D;)

Bill

Guest Guest_Bob_*

Has anyone successfully connected a Garmin 60C series to work in REAL TIME with Google Earth? I've been trying and trying, but can't get it to work. Oh, here's the kicker- it needs to be a USB connection as my laptop doesn't have serial ports.

What exactly do you mean by real time? By real time do you mean to track yourself on your 60C with the Google graphics apearing on your GPS display screen?

Guest Lotsa Luck

Wasn't going to reply to this but what the hell I feel like abuse today... LOL

I had formal training by Garmin rep's about 5 years back in order to teach GPS. I don't have time to answer all questions on here but if someone wants to take the reins to put a meeting together somewhere I will offer to give a class on the basics of operation. Anything more invloved will take too long, so just basics.

Also, my vote for topo programs would be Mapsource. The topo's are all vector based and derived from more sources than any I have seen. There are roads and trails on the Mapsource topo's that don't look to exist today yet they are real.

Also, my vote for topo programs would be Mapsource. The topo's are all vector based and derived from more sources than any I have seen. There are roads and trails on the Mapsource topo's that don't look to exist today yet they are real.

I agree. For having something to look at in one's handheld GPS unit in the field, Mapsource is the best vector product out there at present. And like you said, Mapsource has a healthy sprinkling of other data, such as GNIS, to sweeten it up. It is simplicity, reliability and accuracy in one package.

From all the replies on this thread, it's just so damn overwhelming. use this use that, spend loads and learn enough only to figure out it aint waht you want, and need to go elsewhere for more stuff.

However, the best part would be to get a laptop that you could take along and unload the GPS, as well as have access to map stocks and files, as well as Google terra (at least) and real time tracking.

I think it's really big of Lotsaluck to offer a course, because the more one ages (at least in my case) the harder it is to get into a new swing. The mind is sort of like a big sponge- seems to absorb more trash than anything really useful. By the time I get through the junk mail, there ain't anything left to read. It takes repetition and constant exercise to get the hang of something, and by that time, some new critter is out and on the loose.

Computers are the same way. Mine is an old dinosaur, but it works for me. It doesn't work with new programs, or newer technology. I am happy with what I got, and I know how to fix it if it breaks. stepping off into the big unknown is buying something new that uses a platform and tools that require an exponential learning curve. Frankly, I am not sure that I am up to it, though sooner or later, I will be forced into the new and challenging

i agree, sorry about the other post i was responding to the 1st post by chris, and then i looked at the date he asked the question, it was last year. ooops, my bad. -wes

Guest Guest_Bob_*

No, I mean I want to track my position, on a laptop, using Google Earth on the laptop- NOT in the GPS. There are applications in the software that I need GPS hooked up for. I'm just wondering if anyone has acheived this or not.

I want to second what AZ4AU posted earlier; a Mac running MacGPS Pro works almost perfectly

if you want to run a high quality topo-tracking setup in your car. It's pretty amazing to watch the cursor moving across a 7.5 topo map of an area as you drive.

I bought a new Garmin Rino 530 two months ago and didn't know squat about GPS. It does take alittle time, but if you get lucky enough to have someone like AZ4AU (who helped me immeasurably with tips and pointed me to high-quality map data that can be downloaded for free), or lotsa luck who seems to know a bunch of stuff about alot of things, you will not have much problem learning. I actually feel quite comfortable using all the functions of it; I can use it in my vehicle in conjunction with my Mac portable and of course, take it with me when I hunt.

I also want to tip my hat to the Garmin Rino; it has two radio's built into the unit, a GMRS and an FRS. It also has a weather radio. It has a color screen thats good in the daylight, it's waterproof and is tough enough to survive the rough and tumble stuff (I've fallen twice with it on and was much worse off than the unit which didn't miss a beat). It is a touch bigger than some other units, but well worth it. The Trackback feature is worth it alone; it tracks where you walk and if you want to return it will reverse your route...a no brainer to follow back to where you started.

It's other aspect which is a great help if you are hunting with other Rino users, is that you can see where the other Rino owners are on your screen, and send or recieve waypoints from them...pretty cool.

Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.gpsinformation.net/rino/rinorev.htm

fwiw

Chris, If you are planning on getting a new GPS, do yourself a favor and get a set of Garmin Rinos. They are GPS units with built in radios so you can talk to your partners. When you transmit to your partner, it shows exactly where you are at on their Rino and when they talk back you can see where they are at. My family uses them for hunting and they are absolutely incredible. If you can find the Rino 120 two pack it comes with a Mapsource Topo program that is pretty good. I just upgraded to the Rino 520 and am totally pleased. It has more features, a color screen, and a five watt radio. I got mine from gpsonsale.com Take care and good hunting, Chris Hays