I decided this year to take my time getting to the Winnemucca area so I wandered up through the Eastern part of the state. I wanted to have a look at Oceola and maybe give Tuscarora another try. As I worked my way north from Vegas just south of Caliente in a construction zone a car went flying by me throwing gravel all over. A rock hit my windshield and I now have a nice star shaped crack right in my line of sight. This part of the state really got a lot of snow over the winter and tons of rain this spring so the scenery was greener and lusher than I have ever seen it. The mountains are still covered with snow in late June. I arrived at oceola and was parking my pop-up camper and turned too tight and the bumper hit my propane holder and battery holder mangling everything pretty bad but they were still functional. Looked like a bad start for the trip, but the mountains here were so beautiful it didn't really matter as I watched the sun set on them. Pic---

All I could think of was the poor people roasting back home in AZ. and how lucky I was to be here at this time. The next day I drove around and looked at the huge placer mining pits where thousands upon thousands of ounces gold have been removed over the last hundred years. Some of these are hundreds of feet deep where millions of dollars have been spent to reach the deep bedrock where huge nuggets have been found. As I gazed down into the one pictured here I could just imagine all the iron trash that would be waiting for the detectorist.--

I then went down toward the flats where I saw a working trommel and visited with the guys who were running it. They had started a new pit on their claims and were hoping to recover 1 1/2 to 2 ounces per day which they figured would give them a profit. These guys knew what they were doing and had an efficient operation going. There weren't the tons of junk laying around that you see at many placer camps. They had just what they needed and no more. A dump truck , 2 loaders and a trommel with simple recovery equipment.---

I left Oceola and headed toward Eureka and decided to check out a gold area in Newark Valley. Upon arriving there I saw that this place wouldn't do for detecting. There was a huge operating open pit that had consumed the whole gold area. It was a beautiful day so I continued north toward Elko on a well graded dirt county road . It had rained during the night and I soon was slipping and sliding all over the road on the slipperiest slimiest mud I had ever seen with 40 miles of this to go. I didn't know if I had enough gas to go back to Eureka so I kept plodding along . There was a lot of snow melting and water was running over the road at creek crossings and had some nervous times in these spots. I saw this huge herd of wild horses on this stretch.---

There were at least a hundred horses in this bunch. I breathed a big sigh of relief when I eventually hit the paved road about 30 miles southeast of Elko. First stop was a car wash. The whole front of my camper was covered with about 6 inches of that gooey mud and my wheel wells were completely packed with it. It started to pour rain again in Elko so I decided not to head up to Tuscarora where the sky really looked black. Heading west the weather improved rapidly as I headed toward Winnemucca. Once on the Sulphur road I was glad to see the familiar cloud if dust in my rearview mirror. I pulled into my usual camping spot in the Eugenes and spent the next few days exploring for new spots and managed to pick up 3 small nuggets. I then made a trip to Sawtooth where I managed to walk in between all the nuggets for a day and then headed to Rye patch . A few hours there gave me the best nugget of the trip . I was using the new 14" round mono from Nugget Finder along with the new external speaker/ amp. setup. This coil and the 14" E NF accounted for all my nuggets on this trip. This 1.8 gram piece was at a measured 12 inches and although not a strong signal , I was sure I had a good target. Loved the new coil . It is now on my favorite list and will go on all trips.--

After getting this nice little chevron piece I decided that it was time to head to Lovelock to visit freinds and then head home. When I got there I looked Smokey up and he told me Jim Straight was in town so I stopped at his motel room and we had a good time telling stories, with Jim doing most of the story telling which he is a master at. Jim wanted to head out and try a spot the next day so I put off my return trip and joined him and his freind Jerry for the day. I managed to pick up 2 more nuggets and enjoyed the day out there with Jim and Jerry with more stories on the tailgate when we took breaks. Jim showed me the new coils he had for his Infinium . There are quite a few now available for that detector , some of which appeared to be after market coils made in Australia. We saw this cute baby wild burro on the way out near Seven Troughs.--

This pic shows my total for the trip 5.8 grams. Not what I am used to for this area but not a skunk either. I just never got in the zone on this trip. Had other things on my mind that I wasn't able to block out and didn't put in my normal effort. ---

I did run into many forum members while up there and visited with Gold bug Ron . The trip home started with a scare . Just south of Fallon I saw a semi loaded with steel pipe drifting across into my lane . He must have been asleep because he was completely in my lane in seconds and I hit the dirt at 60 MPH and he must have been going 70. As I Fishtailed through the gravel trying to keep under control he woke up just in time to keep from hitting the guy behind me as he hit the ditch also. This was by far the closest I have ever come to death and I watched every approaching vehicle for the rest of the trip for any signs that they were drifting off. The rest of the trip went well though . As I reached Vegas there was a dry lightning storm going on and there were 4 fires burning all around the city. After crossing the dam There were 5 more fires burning in the Black hills west of Dolan springs. Here's a picture of one of them which was huge but not threatening any homes. Watch those campfires and smokes . It's a tinder box out there.---Bob

Don . IT is rather lengthy but with the lack of gold to show I thought the scenery and wildlife pics would be of interest. Every trip is an adventure to me and I love the remote places in Nevada. For those who can't make the trip or never will be able to , I hope you enjoy the Pics and narrative . The gold is just a small part of these adventures for me.---Bob

Great story and awesome fotos, Bob...Dodacious and I were somewhere in your vicinity for the first part of your trip...But we were coming the other way from N. CA where we did some beepin' and some awesome fishing up around Trinity Lake...I posted some pics on Bill's forum, but here's one just to remind the AZ folks what fishin's about....I'd like to talk to you about NV sometime soon...Been doing some research on it....Cheers, Ron

Thanks for taking us on your trip Bob, good to have you back safe and sound. I just finished reading Jims newest edition of Follow The Drywashers, every time I read it I always get something new out of it. I hope someday to run into him out here in the So. Cal. desert. Thanks Bob, Thanks Jim.

Dave

Glad you missed the Semi and beat the heat a little. Wish you had made it to Tuscarora. I've been there and thought I should have found something. Would like to give it another go. As you know the town is right close to the placer workings. I'd like to do some exploring a little further out of town. Don't forget, a below average gold trip for you would be a great trip for most of us.

Luck

Paul

Montana,

It's good to have you back in Arizona in one piece! I want to hear more about your adventures through NV when we get back. Leaving for the airport now - see you in about two weeks. By the way, great photos! :)

Guest Guest

Montana,

Sorry to hear about the string of bad luck. At least you got to spend some time in beautiful country and found some gold to boot! I love to see those mustangs!

Aaron

Montana Bob: Yup, you sure had a few wild times on the Nevada trip... great pics and thanks for sharing them. Now that I've read your postings on the Nevada trip I don't feel too bad about not scoring a single nugget during my May sojourn to Nevada. I know that you have to walk over gold to find it with a beeper machine but dang it why does Au do such a good job of hiding from us. I echo the comments about your safe return Bob,

Don

Hey guys , It was quite an adventure. I could have done without the close call though. It was a miracle that no damage was done and thanks to Nevadas great highways with wide gravelled shoulders a disaster was avoided. Uncle Ron. That is a huge smallmouth. That would be record class for Az. Maybe next trip north would include a swing through No. Ca. for some fishing.----Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes it is good to hear that you got back basically unscathed!

I was at RP this week, and saw a blue pickup that looked familiar, and then I saw a guy all decked out with all kinds of the latest detector addons...

I couldn't recognize him too well, with his fancy full coverage headgear hiding his features, so I yelled out, is that you Smoky? Yes he said, so he said he would stop at my camper, later when he was done beeping, and chat a spell.

Later, when Smoky had been beat up by his favorite patch out there, he came by my trailer, and we caught up on all the stuff that had happened in the area, and Smokey said, do you know Bob Dansie? I said. I know OF Bob Dansie, by his respected standing in the gold prospecting community. I allowed as how I sure would like to spend some time with him, and learn some tips this electronic gold prospecting.

Of course, when Smoky thinks he has an audience, out comes his always present photo album, which is pretty interesting, as Smoky, besides being a pretty good guy, is kind of an icon in that country, and has covered hundreds of square miles and found some pretty interesting things over the course of his 67 or so years in the same town.

Best wishes, and thanks for sharing!

~LARGO~