Sign in to follow this  
Joe Kauffman

First poll of the new forum

Which type of detector is responsible for finding the most gold nuggets to date?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of detector is responsible for finding the most gold nuggets to date?

• Minelab SD series
    • Fisher Gold Bug series
    • Minelab GP Extreme
    • Garrett's line of detectors
    • Bounty Hunter??
    • Radio shack!

Let's hear about who thinks which detector/detector series has found the most gold nuggets to date and why they think so. <_

Hello Joe,

I see you started this poll, and you chose Fisher. I would give it toss between Garrett and Fisher, as both of the earlier versions of their detectors had some of the first shots in the goldfields.

I was guessing the Garrett Ground Hog, but I'm sure the GoldBug had a good run with it during the early days.

I guess no one really knows, as most good hits (patches) are not documented, nor the detector used.

Just my two cents. :(

Rob

www.nuggethunting.com

Rob,

I would agree that it is a close one between the Garretts and Fisher. The Groundhog A2B really had a huge impact on the world's goldfields, especially in Australia. Then again, in the mid 1980s the Gold Bug took a commanding lead becoming one of the most popular nugget hunting machines ever made. Which detector has actually found the most gold is open for debate, however one thing I do know for sure is that the Minelabs are closing in with each passing day. I'd be curious to hear from those that were using a detector to chase gold back in the 1970s-80s. What do you guys think? :)

Chris

Hi guys,

I have to say the SD and GP series detectors. Over the last 8 years an incredible amount of gold has been found here in OZ. Just in 1995 and 1996 the amounts put through the Perth mint over and above previous years was registered in the tonnes. That’s not including the large amount of nuggets that are transported out of the country every week winging their way across the sea to new homes. Just the big nuggets found in Victoria alone is astounding, 200, 300 ounce pieces have been turning up with incredible regularity in the last 8 years. I have seen photo's of a 270 ounce nugget that would make your eyes pop, these sorts of pieces were not found with the VLF machines on a regular basis and it doesn't take many of them to add up that’s for sure!

If Minelab could have had a percentage deal on all the gold found with their PI machines even 1%, they would be a top ten performer! I personally feel the most amount found was passed a long time ago, I know of one guy who has found over 5000 ounces alone. Before the PI's came on the market I'd say it was the Garrett Ground Hogs next in line.

Damn I mucked up my vote, chalk one up to Minelab please! <_<

Jonathan Porter

I would have thought there would have been a few Garrett Ground hog defenders out there. Wasn't the hand of faith was found with a Garrett?

Jonathan Porter