Reno Chris

Sneaking into AZ - A day at Gold Basin

Hey I was in Las Vegas for a few days on business and had a chance to make a brief excursion down into AZ to Gold Basin. I'd never been there before and a friend who lives in the Vegas area (but does not post on any of the forums) offered to take me. It really stunk that I was unable to use my GP Extreme - it broke the last time I went to use it and it took a month for minelab to get it back to me, so I did not have it for my trip. I used my Whites MXT instead, my friend is a Gold Bug expert - he really makes that GB II sing.

Weather was beautiful and in may ways it reminded me of Rye Patch, including the fact that it had been pounded to death over the years. There was even standing water along the Gregs Hideout road down where it takes off from the paved road.

I had never been there before - mostly I was exploring around. My friend Joe took me to a number of old patches including some pointed out to him years ago by Hoss Blackman.

I got the skunk - not too unusual a place I'd never been before and without my GPX I was not too disapointed. Joe picked up 3 little dinks in a road near some dry wash workings. He actually lost one before he could get it in the bottle, and only brought 2 home. We spent maybe 40 minutes looking for the lost dink - but it was flat and probably landed on edge - it was so small that even the GB2 could not pick it up on edge. We left it for you guys to find in December - see - I'm a nice guy and left you some gold I KNOW is there (even if it is a dink).

Though only a day trip it was nice to get out. Joe hadn't been there in a few years and was way surprised by the development out in the Gold Basin area. We had a great time.

My repaired GPX arrived while I was gone, and was waiting for me when I returned home, so I'll be out again with it sometime in not too long. Gotta get off that skunk, and I got a few ideas......

Guest billy BUBB

when you leave the dolan springs/meadview road and take the road towards gregg's hideout, about 4 miles or so, you will come to a dirt road on the west that is well travelled. There used to be a sign calling Basha Boulevard, but there are drywashing spots in the gullies, shallow dirt, caliche close to the surface, 1 foot or less. It has been drywashed for eons. Continue westward, (SW) and you will come across some old commercial placer mining sites with macinery and parts, and steel chips in the ground.

If you stay on Azares (?) (The gregg's hideout road) a little farther north, you will see another road well used, that heads up to some low hills, that road will take you to temple bar and there are some workings in the hills and environs. In the Lake Mead Park, there are some really good gold gullies, but watch for the park service airplane because it patrols the fringe areas every few hours.

If you stay on Basha BLVD, you will eventually wind around into Senator Mtn and White Hills.

Say you turn SE on azares rd, heading towards kingman. go about 4 miles or so and you will come on the site of Music Mtn, a gold mining camp of the 1800's. There are a couple of mines close to the road, but the really interesting ones are about 3-5 miles farther north. some dumps have specimen quality gold, or a mix of the noble 3.

The other way to explore is taking the Meadview road. After passing the motel and stores in lake mead city, fly down the road a bit when you approach a storage yard. look for a big overhead on the west side that says mohave drums. (you can take it, but the owner is testy. it's best to go another piece (1/2 mile) and take the next road west. Whether you do or take the mohave drums, or the king tut road, there is a well used dirt road running north/south. that is the original state highway pierce ferry road. Anyway, stay on it past the graded area of the mohave drums, and getting to the top of a hill, you will notice a yellow arrow, indicating an approved park road. Go west on it, past the stone house, past the tumbled wood shack, past the mining claim marker, and look up a hill, where you can see the road go. Take this road up and then down to the tract off the gregg's hideout road. If you really watch, you'll catch a glimpse of the golden door mine and other prospects, hard to see for sure. The road is okay going down, but you'll need 4wd if you plan to come back up it. the gully that the road follows has a few nuggets in it, one of the better spots that USPS checked for visible gold.

After passing my mining claim (look for the loads of trash that some yahoo let behind) and getting to the ridge top, you will notice an old mining camp to the north- that is the climax mine, and a road that branches off the main road SSW. It's a scenic drive too, past some old mines and prospects, but is strictly 4wd in some places, narrow, sharp turns, hogback ridges with treacherous results if you run off the road. It's a scenic tour 8-12 miles, or more. but you can only get out via the way you went in, unless you take it all the rocky sandy way to gregg's hideout road.

I was going to tell you about a mess of old homesteads, but Nigel the brit, bought that section up from Duane Smith and has a dude ranch going and helicopter tours. Don't much want stragglers on his property either. but you could probably finagle him to let you go through to the water source of the King Tut, which is behind his property. 28 miles of pipe from the spring to the mine. There's an old tungsten mine up there, and fingertip sized garnets around also, graet view, pine nuts are ready for harvesting. If you go into meadview for a bite, go past the crow's nest towards the house on the fringe. take the easternmost road south, and you'll find another arrow. take 4wd only, into Grapevine wash. West will take you to the grand canyon road (15 miles?) and into some decent gold detector spots if you can filter out the hotrocks. A few meteor fragments in there too.

deep sand baby! and rocky on the ridgeline while driving. The area around iceberg canyon (south Cove, Lake Mead) looks promising too, but ain't no place to pull off the road, and the rangers would have a ticket party if you did get out with a detector.

Billy Bubb, Shep here from CA; never been to Gold Basin, but gonna try in December. I copied down all your info. Sounds like if you don't get stuck, don't get lost (and end up on pivate property) or get caught by the black helo's from the gestapol, one might mind a piece :blink:

Appreciate the info! I'm planning on breaking in my little toyhauler and using my quad, for the most part from there. I'll be the good looking bearded one with a befuddled look on my face, if per chance we meet-

Guest billy BUBB

Hey this is a part of the world where people are pretty friendly, and you don't have to worry much about leaving your stuff unattended in the open and come back to find stuff gone.

People wave at you (wave back). People that are refuges from urban crime and don't much care to get back in that rut. great quad country, and not many fences.

Ken's pizza has good food and okay breakfasts, Crow's nest is pretty good fare B/L/D, plus all serve beer. Kens has a motel if that grabs you. Some of the realty outfits will pay some of your gas or may even send you up into the mouth of the grand canyon on a jet boat.

The good part, even if you are crossing private land, most people accept that and don't give anybody a hard time. like the old days where people were starved for news and company, you may get waylaid just so some BUBB can GABB and enjoy a human visit and new gossip.

Even the park service has let up a bit from a few years past, but you best avenue of info would be to chat with the Meadview or Dolan Springs Sheriff, and figure out what to avoid and where people are radical loner hermits that may be up to no good from a mental standpoint.

The next best would be to buy a 1:100,000 land use map from the BLM and use it to locate the patent mines, as those areas are more likely to pay off (including adjacent areas) than 'take your chances' areas, which you can always check out later when you get a better feel for the area, and like Montana, be able to recognize potential rock formations, type, and color. You will need Boulder City, Kingman, and few others. Get a few copies of 7.5 minute maps like Meadview South, Garnet Mountain, and others. It may be worth your time to get a topo CD and go to an architect shop and have them print the maps out on their plotter printers. Larry whatshisname, from Idaho, the one who invented the mining claim aluminum sign and write for ICMJ, has the full gps setup with a vehicle laptop and internet, but for most of us that may be a little overboard. Maybe more sense for someone ready to fork over $5 grand for a minelab 3500 plus accessories.

Me, I just take this road to the end, then that road to the end, and get out and hike on the hills and look at rocks. I keep things in my head, but I do plot the site with a handheld GPS in case something occurs to me a year later to go back to the site. I even number rocks that look interesting, and many of them, a year after I brought them home, turn out to be valuable float ore. After you gathered ten different rocks from someplace, put them in a bucket, then try to remember just exactly where you got THAT one, it's a puzzle not many are able to complete.

Which winds up with Hotrocks. I found thousands of them in the Meadview slope, and once I figured ou t they were hot, gave them hand propulsion through the air. What ruined it is that some BUBB figured out that a good many of them were meteorites, showed me as few and they looked just like the same old hotrocks I had thrown away at mach 2. found out they was worth more than gold and it didn't take many of them to fill a bucket. so maybe my way's not the greatest way or the most wise way (wise ass maybe). The moral, cut your own road, go your own way, figure out where success lies and get there.

If by some chance you find your way to kingman, go to the museum and see if they have any old documents that you can research. E Ross Householder, a mining engineer, surveyed thousands of really decent mines in Mohave county such as the cerbats, signal, McCracken, Hackberry, Hualapai, and beyond, even those of southern nevada. He's gone, his papers aren't. maybe you can write a new book that deals with mines that haven't been written about yet, even if its your very own journal that will lead you to treasure.

Which brings up mines by north and west of union pass (Tyro, Katherine) and those of Secret Pass (follow the coal pipeline) and Oatman, and the gold nugget bearing washes over towards Topock and Golden Shores. One of my cousins filled a mason jar walking washes in Golden Shores after a flash flood. Hackbery was a decent placer ground, NE of Kingman, and some of the gullies coming off the grand wash cliffs have decent gold in them, but it's mostly a walk in situation. I helped on of my construction pals that lives in Dolan Springs, carry out 5-gall buckets of dirt out of a side canyon between the meadview road and kingman off azares road, and out of 8 buckets of dirt, he pulled out 2 pounds, 7 1/2 ounces troy in gold. He had the 4wd drive at the time, I didn't, and that is what it takes to get to the mouth of a canyon that gets so narrow, not even a dirt bike can make it. at the base of a dry waterfall was the pocket of dirt we dug out and chinaman style (in wide enough places), we carried out.

The whole area of Gold Basin, Hackberry, Lost Basin, Pope Wash, and Mohave Mtn is loaded with gold that hasn't even been touched. 1000 guys could even nick the surface. you better believe it!

Reno Chris, I've hunted Gold Basin 2 or 3 times a year getting on 2 years and yet to find even a dink. Still looking for my first AZ AU and will give it another try on January. It's a beautiful area and enjoy being out there even though I've never found my prize yet... Last June, I had my first taste of the summer desert heat and I'm pretty sure I did not find any nuggets because they had melted.

billy Bubb, that's some great info! Gonna print it and stash it for my next trip. Very interesting stuff! Thanks for the info...

I wish I'd known what Billy-bubb said when I went out and that I'd had more maps - it was just a day trip and my friend had found gold there a number of times before. On the other hand there is only so much exploring you can do in a day and it takes a bit of time to scout a new area out (new to me anyway).

The dinks he found were right smack in the middle of a road I am sure is well traveled and had been detected many times. Its just the pieces were so small, I dont think they could have been found with a PI detector. The gold bug 2 really does a number finding the tinyest of pieces.

Kamikaze - Good luck in January, let us know how things go.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Gold Basin is a favorite on my list of places to detect. First time I was there I fell in love with the wide open spaces, relatively mild ground and lack of trash. A guy can put on the biggest coil he's got and just go! Like you mentioned, it's a lot like Rye Patch. The terrain is fairly flat so a 4WD isn't a must and there aren't many obstacles to get in the way. In my opinion, some of the easiest detecting conditions in the west, which is probably why it sees so much coil traffic. Nuggets are getting harder to come by with each passing season, but still a very enjoyable place to spend a few days. Thanks for the story and the pics! :)

Below is a nugget I picked up out there about 6-7 months ago. It took 2 solid days of hunting, but I finally got one! I pulled it around 10 inches deep with the GP3500 & Nugget Finder 16" SL Mono

Wow, after reading the pros got skunked here in Gold Basin, I feel even prouder about that (almost) 1/4 ounce I found on my first (solo) day here.... luck pure luck on my part, I was skunked the rest of the month as well.... but I'm back this week with a less stress filled cranium, some new metal free boots and a Gold Screamer power pack ala Doc and we'll see if I can fix that month of skunking. Spent all day yesterday on KingTut placers and was skunked but it was way too windy to be out, I should have been doing laundry :)

Jen

Interesting read till I noticed it started 11 years ago. Have found some nice gold there since, but skunked last trip :-(

Interesting read till I noticed it started 11 years ago. Have found some nice gold there since, but skunked last trip :-(

Skunked so far this week for me as well Shep, nothing today.Jen

Nice story, been to about 90 % of the places you guys described. There use to be an ol timer in Dolan springs named Joe Dimaggio, like the baseball player, who owned claims all over, he showed me multi ounce platinum nuggets from a good area, and some really nice gold from high up on grand wash cliffs, ect... there's a ton of old miners camps, cabins, ect...

Dave

Ran into a couple from Oregon (or was it Alaska, same orange plates) yesterday looking for you Dave :)

I also met them on Rye Patch last month, husband and wife, sweet couple. They're headed to see Chris today for a day of training on their 7000.

They were in White Elephant Wash.

Jen

Yup! That would be Carl and Marina .... I'll be with them on Wednesday.

I think I have talked to them before online Jen, also congrats on your 1/4 ounce piece you found, really nice, those are hard to come by at Gold Basin nowadays, unless your JasonG :)...

Here is a riddle for Gold Basin for everyone... all I can say is if you find these, hunt them good, they can be real rewarding....

Riddle:

You can see it everyday, but cannot touch it at will, traveling fast enough through it will make you ill. Be on the lookout as both sides of this are rounded, which cross together in the middle, which much resembles a fiddle. Hunt really low and slow, and before you know it, all that glitters is gold…

Dave.

I think I have talked to them before online Jen, also congrats on your 1/4 ounce piece you found, really nice, those are hard to come by at Gold Basin nowadays, unless your JasonG :)...

Here is a riddle for Gold Basin for everyone... all I can say is if you find these, hunt them good, they can be real rewarding....

Riddle:

You can see it everyday, but cannot touch it at will, traveling fast enough through it will make you ill. Be on the lookout as both sides of this are rounded, which cross together in the middle, which much resembles a fiddle. Hunt really low and slow, and before you know it, all that glitters is gold…

Dave.

Pick me, pick me.... I got it..... THE GOLDEN ARCHS????

I always get a Mc'Tummy ache when I go through Mc'Donalds drive through.

PS: Day three skunked at Gold Basin... grrrrrr..

Jen

Jen, how were you able to hunt the King Tut grounds, ??? special invite ? or pay to detect ? or ? its private property at the site of those piles. ??? With neighbor/property owners surrounding ??

Wow, how a really old thread gets resurrected!

I've only been back to Gold basin only once (in early 2015) since I posted the original thread in 2005. We also hunted around Meadville on the property of a friend and saw some impressive gold that had been found there. I didn't find much other than trash.

What did ever happen to Mohave John Green - I heard the crashing real estate market in 2007-9 really hurt him.

Jennifer - how did you do out there at RP?

Wow, how a really old thread gets resurrected!

I've only been back to Gold basin only once (in early 2015) since I posted the original thread in 2005. We also hunted around Meadville on the property of a friend and saw some impressive gold that had been found there. I didn't find much other than trash.

What did ever happen to Mohave John Green - I heard the crashing real estate market in 2007-9 really hurt him.

Jennifer - how did you do out there at RP?

Sorry Chris, didn't see this post.... I was skunked on Rye but was only there overnight and a couple hours in the morning.

Jen

post-36125-0-14143300-1489714864_thumb.jpg

post-36125-0-37382400-1489714901_thumb.jpg