Sign in to follow this  
LOOK4JOHN

5PDS NUGGETT BUD GUTHERA OF MONTANA

BUD FROM MONTANA FOUND THIS NUGGET ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO ITS ABOUT 5 INCHE AROUND HAS SOME QUARTS IN IT , ITS LOCATED AT A BANK IN HELENAMONTANA ON DISPLAY ,BUD USED TO A MSHA INSPECTOR ON MINES AN RUN A GOLD PROSPECTING SHOP JUST OUTSIDE HELENA MT.

Look 4 John. That is a great nugget and I've seen it. It was actually found in the mid to late 80s . Bud was one of the first to really catch on to nuggetshooting and was real succesful at it.---Bob

Guest Guest_Mirkaba_*

I remember that nugget. But my somewhat convoluted memory is trying to tell me it was 113 ounce nugget. Bud was a heck of a nice guy, gave me lots of tips when I first tried my hand at gold detecting......But back then I was doomed to failure;) Bob

Guest buffaloearl

Is Bud Guthrey still alive. I corrosponded with him in the early 1980's about which nugget detector to buy and he recommended the gold bug. He swore by it. He wrote an article in one of the treasure magazines and put in a few pictures of all the gold he had found using his gold bug. He was a great prostector and one heck of a nice guy.

Guest Guest_John B._*

Hi All

I ran into Bud Guthrie last year at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show. It was the first time I met him yet he told me he has been there every year for the last 20 or so (its a big show). His big nugget he named Fred and contains 60 ounces of gold by specific gravity. I asked him where he found it , his reply was that if he told me he'ld have to kill me. I think AZ4AU Mike has some pix of Fred since he had it with him at the show. I think he found it in 1990 or 1991 using a goldbug. I was told where it was found but I don't think it's my place to say !! But you can ask him yourselfs in Tucson in a few more weeks .

Happy Huntin John B.

John B. Bud has always been pretty vague about where he found it. Somewhere north of Phoenix was the rumor. That takes in a lot of country, but it sure does look like A Rich Hill specimen. Given that there have been many large specimens found at Rich Hill , that would be as good a guess as any.----Bob