Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Minelab Commader Coils

Hi All,

I was wandering if anyone has compared the 15" x 12"Elliptical Monoloop

commander series to the 14 in NF. There is about a $90.00 difference in

price.

Rich

Rich. And about a quarter pound in weight. I'm sure that it is a very good coil. Haven't done a side by side comparison though. -----Bob

Hi All,

I was wandering if anyone has compared the 15" x 12"Elliptical Monoloop

commander series to the 14 in NF.  There is about a $90.00 difference in

price.

Rich

Hello,

I use a commander 10x5 eliptical, and it was the coil that started me on the journey to finding gold.

I is light enough to swing all day and doesn't give off to many false signals when it bumps an object. It has proven itself time and time again at picking up signals in well worked areas between obsticles and yes some where gold. with this little coil I have found 89 pieces since oct last year and swear by them. But I am now learning that if you want the bigger bits that travel deeper a bigger coil must be part of your detecting gear.

This reply comes from the other side of the earth in Australia but I dont think the rules change to much.

I havn't used the nf coil so it would be unfair to comment on the comparison. I can only say my experience with the commander coil has been a good one.

Best of luck to all and I hope I have helped in some way.

Brett / echidnadigger.

Rich,

I have that same coil and have used it quite a bit over the last year and rate it as being a very good coil.I also have a NF 16'' XP and would not give up for anything.The XP is the smoothest coil I have ever used.The xp gives you alot of different choices with only one coil.Its great around power lines and minerlizedground.I am up in N. Calif. Siskiyou Co. so our ground isn't bad for minerlization so I use the Commander alot.I have also used it out in N Nevada with some good results.

Dan

Hello all,

I have a Coiltek 17"DDpro and friend has a Nuggetfinder 16"DDxp and I feel the 17"DDpro will match the 16"DDxp for sensitivity in its "Normal" switch position but not sure if the 17"DDpro could match the 16"DDxp for outright depth in its "XP" switch postition?

Since this is a discussion on Commander coils I am also wondering has anyone tested and compared the Commander 18"DD to the Coiltek 18"DDpro for outright depth as both these coils should beat the Nuggetfinder 16"DD in XP mode?

Gary

Guest Lamar

Dear gazzag;

I've recently pitted the ML 15X12 mono against the CTK 14" mono, the CTK 18" mono and the 17X11 Wallaby DD Pro coils, and these are my observsations.The 15X12 can't beat the CTK 18" mono on outright depth but it does come close and it matches the 14" CTK mono. It noses out the 17X11 DD Pro on depth, but again not by very much. The 15X12 is quieter in hot ground than the 18" and 14" monos, but is noisier than the 17X11 DD Pro. It has excellent sensitivity to smaller gold closer to the surface then 18" mono, and it is equal to the 14" mono in this respect. The Wallaby is slightly more sensitve than the 15X12 but again, not by very much at all. In short, I'd probably pass on the 15X12 ML mono and spend the extra $$$ for a CTK Wallaby DD Pro but if I was wanting a deep punching coil with little chatter then I'd probably save the extra $$$$ and purchase the 15X12 over the CTK 18" mono. Then again, if I j had to have both a mono and a DD coil then I'd probably go with the CTK 14" mono and the 17X11 DD Pro coils and pass on the CTK 18" mono and the ML 15X12 mono coils. I hope this makes sense.

Your friend;

LAMAR

Lamar,

Thanks for the informative reply and your confidence in the Coiltek 17'x11" DD Pro.

I did have a chance to borrow a demo Commander 15X12 mono from a detector shop for a test run and I was surprised by its sensitivity and ability to handle noisier ground rather well for a mono coil although a little heavy for its size. I have a Commander 8" mono and it seems to handle noisier ground quiet well and also own a large Nuggetfinder mono.

I have been surprised how well the standard Minelab 11"DD coil is in sensitivity which recently pulled my smallest nuggets to date all under the 0.1 gram mark on a GP3000 in noisy ground that I doubt the Coiltek 17'DDpro or the Commander 8" mono could have handled. I feel the GP's 11"DD is a rather under estimated coil of choice and would match the 17"Pro DD and 16"XP DD up to a certain size of nugget.

It is therefore that I had enquired about the Commander 18"DD and Coiltek 18"DDpro as I feel these two would be equal for outright depth to the Coiltek 24"x12"DD pro with the 24" and 25" round DD's too large and heavy for my situation. I have owned a Nuggetfinder SL20"DD before the XP models were released and maybe should have hung onto it for outright depth and not sold it, as it was not finding gold for me.

I would be interested though to hear from anyone using a Commander 18"DD and although it would be heavy, it could be a surprise packet as the ML11"DD was to me when I tried it instead of my Nuggetfinder and Coiltek coils.

Cheers,

Gary.

Hey Rich, I have the ML commander 15x12 mono and to be honest don't bother with it much. I find the CT Mini 17'' Mini UFO to be more sensitive and lighter to swing all day. I also have a 16 dd nuggy but continue to use the CT coils. I brought a 10''x5'' Minelab Commander DD ellip coil from Minelab at Xmas used it 2 times and sold it preferring both the CT DD PRO & Mono 10''x5" Ellip coils in most nugget hunting trips ( Every weekend )

Gaz's call on the 17dd pro ellip coil is a good one and would be a very good allround coil to use in all situations....I refer this coil instead of the CT 14'' DD Pro coil which once was a favourite....

TM