Sign in to follow this  
Shep

Sawtooth Range,NV

Anyone know, what kind of road is the Jungo Rd and then on to SSR49, west of Winnemucca NV is like?

Thanks,Shep

Shep. The road is excellant, maintained by both the county and the mining companies in the area. It is mostly straight and wide enough for cars to pass each other safely. Watch for mining company trucks which can put a rock through your window. Traffic usually is moving at about 50 miles an hour. The surface is very hard packed gravel and can be traveled in any kind of vehicle including large motor homes and is generally an all weather road but can get slippery after heavy rains. In late summer and fall it is often very dusty but when the mines are running , water trucks with dust controlling chemicals spray the surface fairly regularly.-----Bob

Shep

It would pay to know where the tire shops are at in Winnemucca and carry at least two spare tires with you, the rocks are very sharp. I've destroyed brand new load range E tires on those roads.

Hawkeye. ;)

Shep. Hawkeye is right about the tires. I found that I could drive these roads at 50 MPH , but slowing down to 40 or less cut way down on the flat tires.. I once found myself at Sawtooth with 2 flats. Luckily Fix -A Flat was enough to get me into Lovelock.----Bob

Something about the higher speed causes rock punctures out there. The road is good but I'd keep your speed down.

Appreciate all the info. I'm in no hurry, 30-35 is fine. Have spares.

Thanks all, Shep

Appreciate all the info. I'm in no hurry, 30-35 is fine. Have spares.

Thanks all, Shep

The tires are so soft that if they pick up the right rock it will hold it and not let it go, So the faster you go the hotter the tire gets and the faster it is hitting hard ground on evry rotation. This will cause the tire to get softer like a bruise and so enough it will puncture your tire.

This is what i have been told.