Sign in to follow this  
Montana

First gold with the GPX4000

Every time I get a new detector I usually go through a slump. I don't know if it is mental or just that the new sounds don't register the same. One of the first things I noticed was a faint grunt at the start of a target signal and at the end of it. Now this was different and it annoyed me at first. After a while I realized that I wasn't even noticing it anymore. To make sure that I didn't go through this slump again I spent lots of time with a test plot. By the time I'd completed my tests I was confident I could go out and find a nugget right away. It wasn't right away as it turned out but only took a few hours on a thoroughly pounded crumb patch. I got a .3 gram nugget at several inches deep. Someone had scratched off a thin layer of dirt over this nugget in the recent past, and decided to pass on digging it. It very well could have been me that did it. The 4000 said dig for sure. Here's a pic of the nugget and one of my freind Dave Z. who got his 4000 at the same time. ----Bob

Good on ya, Dansie! Looks like you're getting the hang of that 4000 already; hopefully there will be a crumb or two left by the time I get down there! :P

- Lunk -

Hello Bob,

Congrats on finding your first nugget with the new GPX-4000. Been watching what you and Chris have to say about it. My Li-Ion Battery is fully charged, I just have to find some time to get out there and play around with it. Turned it on at home and ran down some of the features, man its got a lot of different ways you can run the machine. I'm sure it's going to take some time to learn all the "best" settings for each ground condtion.

Thanks for sharing all the information you have so far on the new detector. Wishing you the best of success out there with it.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob. It's not a GP3500 in a new box . It is the way the PIs had to go. You might wonder what the heck is going on for a while if you are like me and go about it ass backward , but I don't know any good detector operator who could resist flipping switches and turning dials when they see the potential. Have fun learning it !!!! It's fun! I think Lamaar said it perfectly when he said that Minelab has put the operator back in the loop on this one. And that's a good thing the way I see it.----Bob

Rich. I'm not getting rid of it right away. I'll be doing some comparisons for a while. It was a winner from the start and will be a great detector for years to come. I might just keep it for a loaner.----Bob

Yo Dansie,

I'd like to keep my 35 too, since I've only had it out twice since I got it and I just love it; but trading it in is the only way I'll be able to afford a 4000 right now. Besides, the way I see it, the 4000 has everything the 35 does and so much more! B) Can't wait to get one...see you shortly! :)

- Lunk -

Good point, Dansie...it's been noted elsewhere (and this makes alot of sense to me) that the improved depth capabilities of the successive generations of the PI machines is due to a combination of the inherent technology and a progressive smoothness and quietness of the threshold; the smoother it becomes and the more resistant to EM interference, the easier it is for the operator to hear a minor fluctuation in the threshold. To me, this alone equates to added depth. So even if the GPX-4000 doesn't inherently punch deeper than the GP 3500, it achieves more apparent depth just by virtue of its smoother and quieter threshold capabilities. Man, I can't wait to get one! :rolleyes: And I'm sure the depth comparison between the two models is just one of the many nifty things that JP has in store for us in his upcoming video series. Take 'er easy! :)

- Lunk -

I got another little nugget with it yesterday by accident. I was testing the detector on some of the nastiest ground I've ever encountered which was a volcanic conglomerate welded tuff. It was running so smooth on it that I was wondering if I had the settings all messed up when I got a screamer signal. It was a .3 gram nugget just lying bare naked in the sun. This is crazy. On this particular spot that drove me batty with all my previous detectors, it purred along smoothly . It had rained hard the night before and I was expecting that ground to be especially bothersome. -----Bob

Hello Bob,

Just goes to show you that when you are good you're also lucky!! :rolleyes::P

Mike

Gee whiz Dansie! Finding gold by accident? Yeah, I hate it when that happens! :blink::D I'll bet if you just went walking around out in the goldfields detectorless and dragging an open nugget container behind you on a string, by the end of the day it would be full of nuggets! :lol: But seriously, quiet smoothness on volcanics? That is the breakthrough I've been waiting for. ;) I talked to Chris G. yesterday; my new GPX-4000 will be waiting for me at the folk's place in Winnemucca when I get down there next week. B) Watch out old patches, here I come! :rolleyes::) Good on ya Bob, keep raking in those nuggets!! :)

- Lunk -

P.S. Sounds like your unit is stuck in "dink mode"; it only finds 0.3 grammers in that setting! :P

I took Chris out today to show him what I'd learned and he showed me up right away on a little patch just outside of town. He got a nice little specimen within about 1 hour with his GPX4000. He was also blown away by how quiet and smooth it ran.-----Bob

Yeehaw! Way to co Chris! :)

- Lunk -