Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

My First GPX Nugget!!!

Hi All,

I got together with Bob Dansie today to do some more testing with the GPX-4000 on some patches around Prescott. This was a place he had scored some gold using the GP3500, but it was one of those annoying areas where the detector was always chattering. A smooth, solid threshold was essentially impossible to get, especially if the coil was tilted, even slightly.

Bob went over some of his recent findings, and we played around with some test nuggets coming up with a few more. Something that blew me away was the unbelievable stability of the 4000. After making a few adjustments we could turn the coil sideways, upside down, hold it over our heads, basically anything and the threshold was dead quiet!!! :blink: No constant chattering, no wavering, just a clean, solid hum! This alone warrants the reworking of old patches, especially those that typically have lots of air traffic overhead. Plus, we can now work the banks and benches coming into the gullies because even with the coil turned on edge the machine maintains its consistency.

About ten minutes into it I hit a screamer of a signal. It didn’t sound that promising, but it was in the heart of the patch and I didn’t want to take any chances. A few inches down and a chunk of rusty iron comes rolling out. Bummer….I swung about four inches away and got a much more subtle response. I kicked away a layer of pine needles and broke into the hard pack dirt beneath. About 6 inches down and I finally had the target out of the hole. I was expecting to see another rusted bolt, definitely not a nice nugget! :lol: It was a nice piece, but even better, it was my first kill with the GPX-4000.

The more I use this machine the more I see its real potential. I don’t know if the changes Minelab made will be as significant for Australian conditions, but for the States, I think it is dynamite!

Hey Bob, thanks for sharing the patch... ;)

Hi Chris,

Congrads on the nugget. I got a feeling you and Bob are going

to clean up with these 4000's. I also think you are going to sell alot

of these. Nice job again.

Rich

Nice one, Chris! :)

- Lunk -

Rich. It seems like this detector was custom made for the conditions in the U.S. unlike all previous Minelabs which were designed for Australian conditions. That being said, it has got to work well over there too.----Bob

Hello Chris,

Nice nugget to break the ice with the new machine . Glad to see you and Bob are getting some time behind the wheel so to speak and getting the settings figured out . Keep up the good work and pull some goodies off the old patches to prove the value of the new machine and its abilities.