Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Porter

The WOW factor continues

Wow have the last twelve hours of detecting time been a revelation! :) I had a mate over this past weekend and we had a ball finding bits in favourite haunts. On his way out he caught me eying off his brand new Nugget Finder 25" monoloop coil sitting in the back of his ute, (fibreglass model but never been used) he could tell I have been itching to get hold of a large monoloop to try with the new SMOOTH timings of the GPX4000. After much tooing and frowing I ended up with the coil being left here as its owner drove off into the heat of the midday sun.

This morning I woke with a sudden urge to get out to a spot I know that had to have some gold laying around, the last time I worked it the ground noise was horrible (unworkable) with a mono coil. Yet further upslope some large pieces had been found back in the SD2000 days.

Working my way down through the main run I was dissapointed by the lack of signals turning up, the occasional faint response which was just ground noise (yes some ground noise breaks through with the larger mono's) but basically things were very quiet. The mental aspect of detecting with these new modes are going to take some adjusting to, normally I have a fair bit of feedback to keep me occupied but the silence of the GPX can be almost deafening!!

During my meanderings through the old timers diggings I started to notice more and more refilled dig holes of what must have been a very diligent prospector armed with a DD coil and a lot of patience. I started to berate myself as I realised some of the holes were showing indicaitons of being "Nugget Only" type digs, I should have been back to this spot earlier than this and would have found the gold I had missed with monos in the past. :(

Just as I was cursing my stupidity I received a beautiful mellow response from the coil as I passed it nearby a neatly refilled hole, careful scanning repeated the signal from a lot of different directions and the more I passed over the target the more convinced I became that this was a "Nice one".

Doing what seems to be a common occurance since the release of the GPX I switched from the SMOOTH timings into NORMAL mode and got hammered by instant overload as the big mono twanged off every bit of variability in the surrounding area, the noise was so bad there was absolutely so response from the target zone, yet returning to SMOOTH mode via the SENSITIVE switch on the front panel things returned to a quiet state.

Digging down through the iron rich surface material I quickly hit quartz and ironstone wash that was packed tight with clays. At this moment I felt I was on a sure thing, so headed back to the Landrover and grabbed the Video Camera to capture the moment on film.

When I turned the GPX back on I decided to once again try the NORMAL timings and was rewarded with a solid LOW/HIGH response which sent a shiver up my spine and a grin from ear to ear. Bruce Candy had warned me nugget responses were going to be different, with a HIGH/LOW on small targets, then a shift to a LOW/HIGH on medium nuggets and then back to a HIGH/LOW again on large nuggets, and it seemed going by this target he is exactly on the money. :rolleyes:

The next few minutes were a dig and pant affair and the hole got gradually larger and the sweat pool started to deepen at my feet. Then I busted throught the hard pack and hit soft deco clay underneath and with it my spirits plummeted. It is soul destroying to maintain even emotional balance whilst detecting when you think you know a target is going to be rubbish, especially the deep digs. I had a real hard time keeping things together as I gradually became hotter and more flustered from the exertion of digging what seemed like a huge hole for no gain. Looking for a positive I decided it was still a good opportunity to show on film the depth the new SMOOTH timings are capabale of so continued to dig even though my heart was no longer in it.

After getting down close to the 20" mark I was scooping out the last pick point attack when the glint of something lovely caught my eye, I hope my antics on film are not too crazy because it was a very exciting moment as I realised the signal was worth digging after all.

All in all the GPX4000 is going to make a benchmark in this industry, Minelab have set a standard which is going to be a hard act to follow. All up I have found close on 5 ounces of gold in 12 hours of detecting time, with the biggest piece weighing in at 96 grams or 3 old fashioned ounces of beautiful butter yellow AU.

JP

Hello Jonathan,

Nice lump you found there ! I have not had the big 25 on my machine yet but it sounds like I need to and get out there with it and do some hunting . So much work and too little time to go hunting :( .

Howdy Jonathan, That was a great post on your latest finds. In 12 hrs. of detecting you have paid for your GPX 4000. your posts are always exciting to read. Harry

You didn't need a metal detector to find those just a good pair of glasses and probably still would trip over them. LOL

Super from down under.

Iggy

Hi JP,

All I have to say mate is...SWEET!!! :D:blink::lol:

Excellent post. The new GPX-4000 is an amazing machine. A week of swinging it here in AZ was enough to convince me that all the old patches need to be reworked again, especially those with a bit of noisy ground. Congrats on the new lump! Seeing that piece makes me want to head out, too bad it is stinking cold right now. Only 18 degrees F at my house right now - BURR!!! :ph34r:

Here's a pic of the nugget after a bit of a clean!! The biggest bit for the year seems to have waited till the very last!! :P

Chris it's a beautiful sunny 40 Deg C day wanna swap? :blink: (only 11:59am at the moment)

JP

Hi JP

Nice nugget !!! For 12 hours worth of work you've made pretty good hourly wage. I'm starting to consider getting a 4000 with all of the feedback coming in but I don't know, its a lot of money. By the time I figure that machine out they will probably have the 4500 out. I'm still doing good with my 3000. I picked up a 4.5 oz in april and one just over 4 oz this past Oct. Even though I just retired in July I'm so busy working on cars I can't find the time to get any detecting in. Plus, like Chris said in his post its getting cold. Not quite as cold here in northern CA as it is at Chris's yet but if its not to cold then its covered with snow. Are you going to be working on a new instructional video for the 4000 now? The way Minelab keeps coming out with new machines every couple of years that alone would keep you busy. Anyway take care JP.

Regards, Wes. (Hawkeye)

It never hit the freezing mark where I was detecting today with a 25 MPH wind blowing. I just put on the long johns and went out anyway. It actually wasn't too bad except my fingers were numb all day. Dropped several nuggets before I could get them in the bottle and had to find them all over again. I also dug the headphones out for ear muffs. ----Bob

Nice gold, Jonathan...as usual.

Montana, I have used racketball gloves to good advantage in real cold weather. They are just enough protection from the weather and yet thin enough to have a good sense of touch...and they last pretty well....

Fred