Sign in to follow this  
wyldkatt

Dynamite? What could possibly go wrong??

Hello all-

My first post on the forum, and I could use some advice..

Considering checking out a mine that I havn't been to in twenty or more years. Last time I was inside, there was a stack of cases of stick dynamite. 4 or 5 high I believe. The wooden oak crates said,"Atlas Powder Co. Globe,az."

Anyway these things were sitting in a pool of what I suppose was nitroglycerin. I used to fire off a black powder .44 every morning inside the entrance, which was less than 50yds from the explosives.. So does anyone have any advice on getting those wooden cases out of there, without giving az. another open pit mine..

thanks--

~wyld~

The cases have to be handled very carefully, but they can be moved. Not sure if I have enuff b$$$$ to do i, but you might get in touch with the local PD to see if they have a bomb squad you could get some advice from, I know years ago I did some work at an old placer mine up here and there was several cases left on the ground and they were in that condition. I know it will burn because that is what we did, we did not explode it. I can tell you it burns with intensity and is very bright and we kept a safe distance from it while this was going on...HH...Geo

Call the local haz mat team, and have your govt. foot the bill. But, I would guess that they would just pop it in situ.......

I grew up in a place called Trona which is very near Death Valley, CA....Me and my buddies used to explore the many old mines every weekend and did incredibly stupid things....We found lots of old dynamite, all sweaty with nitro, enough to give you a roaring headache when you got it on your hands and then touched your face or head...We used to stick a few sticks in our hip pockets , slide around the stopes and adits then take it out and blow things up...We also used to climb down the shaft of a mine called "Gold Bottom", using rickety old splintered ladders that were always breaking...We did these stupid things for quite a few years and had only one fatality, one of the guys' dog who fell down a shaft and was all broken up...It was still alive, but there was no way to get it out without certain death...My buddy had to get his .22 and shoot the dog....Lesson learned, sort of...Anyway, we were a little more careful after that...Anyhow, follow the good advice here and call the sheriff...I've had to do that a couple times as an adult and that's just the way to do it...Cheers, Unc