Sign in to follow this  
Montana

Hope to get back to detecting soon.

Betsy and I recently moved to our retirement home in Yarnell which we purchased at a bargain price several years ago . It was a fixer -upper and I knew there was a lot to be done. There were roof leaks, old weathered siding, and the yard was a barren wasteland. Now the house is surrounded with young peach , cherry, nectarine, and plum trees. Grapevines , blackberries, and rasberries are spreading on the new picket fence and flowers are blooming everywhere. The vegetable garden is well on its way. All the plants are on automatic watering systems.The siding contractor should be done by this Saturday , and the new steel roofing should be here mid next week. These projects have consumed all my time for a month now and all other pursuits have been put on the shelf. My goal is to have a totally maintenance free house with a lifetime garranty on the siding and roof. I have been doing much of the preliminary work and will install the roofing myself which I have some experience doing. The one thing I hadn't figured on was the wear and tear on the old body. Spending 8 hours a day up and down ladders has taken a toll, but there is daylight at the end of the tunnel. 2 weeks and I should be back to detecting and fishing if all goes well. A day detecting in the hot sun will seem like a picnic. Hope to see some of you out there again soon.----Bob

Betsy and I recently moved to our retirement home in Yarnell which we purchased at a bargain price several years ago . It was a fixer -upper and I knew there was a lot to be done. There were roof leaks, old weathered siding, and the yard was a barren wasteland. Now the house is surrounded with young peach , cherry, nectarine, and plum trees. Grapevines , blackberries, and rasberries are spreading on the new picket fence and flowers are blooming everywhere. The vegetable garden is well on its way. All the plants are on automatic watering systems.The siding contractor should be done by this Saturday , and the new steel roofing should be here mid next week. These projects have consumed all my time for a month now and all other pursuits have been put on the shelf. My goal is to have a totally maintenance free house with a lifetime garranty on the siding and roof. I have been doing much of the preliminary work and will install the roofing myself which I have some experience doing. The one thing I hadn't figured on was the wear and tear on the old body. Spending 8 hours a day up and down ladders has taken a toll, but there is daylight at the end of the tunnel. 2 weeks and I should be back to detecting and fishing if all goes well. A day detecting in the hot sun will seem like a picnic. Hope to see some of you out there again soon.----Bob

Hello Bob, your little spot at Yarnell is going to be perfect for you once you get everything squared away. Just imagine, a quick trip down the freeway or use the side track and your at Rich Hill.

Seems the forum has slowed down a lot since you moved house, am looking forward to when you get out beeping again. :)

JP

Bob,

As soon as you get some time, get those boat batteries charged! We've been having fun with some tremendous top water trips the past few weeks. The striper action still doesn't quite compare to the massive boils at Powell, but it's pretty dang close.

Joe Kauffman

Bob,

That moving and house fix-up stuff is not for sissies.

I know you will have a great home when you guys are finished.

Looking forward to your further adventures in prospecting

when your chores are done.

Flak

Hi Bob glad your projects are drawing to a close, speaking of fishing the ice is almost out of the river I can almost hit with a rock from my place here and these guys will be whizzing by soon.....Thanx again for your time...HH...Geo

Hi Montana,

If you need any help just hollar I live in Tucson I wouldn't mind the drive and work for

a day and I am sure others would help out also. No Charge maybe a few tips on the 3500 ;)

Rich

Reno Chris. We are on city watersystem. It's the best tasting water I've had in AZ and comes from the tap ice cold. We don't even bother with bottled water any more, which is almost a neccesity in many AZ cities.

Joe. I'm sure I'm missing some great fishing and I know I've missed many good detecting days with the unusually cool spring we've had this year. Save some for me!

Geo. I will definately be up your way to do some salmon fishing . Maybe not this year but maybe next.----Bob

Thanks to all for the encouragement and offers of help.----Bob

Montana: congrats on your house, I can almost visualize it now as I lived in a house in Oregon that had a metal roof over one room and a buddy & I use to bunk in there in thunderstorms.. property had black berries, blue berries , salmon berries, straw berries, and several others plus all kind of apples,cherrie, peach and so forth because it was a small farm out in the boonies. I really liked that invironment to grow up in. I 'am sure you are really going to enjoy it up there . was up there last year an its a quaint place--happy days to you and the Mrs. -- HAL

The siding crew left today and the end result is amazing. With the extra layer of R5 insulation our heating and cooling bill should drop quite a bit. There is lots of work left to do. Painting under the eaves to match the trim, painting the foundation, adding new rain gutter all around, painting and repairing 2 porches, but lots of this can be done through the summer. The biggest project left is the roof which should take 4 or 5 days once the materials arrive mid next week. I might just take a day to do some beeping tomorrow. It's still real cool but a warm spell coming mid week. We had frost last night and we're supposed to get frost again tonight. I can't believe what a cool spring we are having this year. Frost in May in central AZ? Neighbor said it was snowing in Prescott this afternoon. Weird!----Bob

If this is global warming, I wonder what global cooling is like!!! :lol:

- Lunk -

It's fishing and detecting time!!!! I just put the last sheet of roofing on today and I can now finish up the minor details at my leisure. I hope this doesn't bore everyone but I'm so pleased with the results I just have to post some pictures even thougfh they don't do the remodel justice. First one shows the first day of the remodeling process and shows the decrepid condition of the outside of the house. Rusty mangled rain gutters , rotten warped siding and weird blue color. Second shows the the finished siding job at the same angle. 3rd is the rotten , crumpled, leaky , many times patched roof on the trailer portion.I've started the furring and leveling process that took days . 4th shows the completed roof on the trailer and the sunroom. Putting on the steel sheating went fairly fast except when I came to the vents and had to carefully cut out for the vents and replace them all with new ones. It took almost 1,000 screws but was much simpler and easier than a conventional shingles roof and at a fraction of the cost and the old trailer probably wouldn't have handled all the weight. The steel roofing weighs a fraction of a shingled roof.----Bob

Had to add another reply . used up the attachment space.

Underneath all the new siding and roofing , R-4 high density foam was added. I've already noticed a huge difference in the ability to cool the house. Yesterday when it was 88 degrees outside , the evap cooler dropped the inside temp to 58 degrees. Never was able to get much more than a 15 degree difference before. What a huge project but it was accomplished in just over 2 weeks. Now it's back to having fun. I have a roof that shouldn't ever leak and I should be able to throw away all my painting tools.----Bob

Hey Bob,

Great job ... on the roof especially! Never thought about the 'layered' look. My son's roof needs replacing in a big way ... like two years ago. He was going to do a conventional pitched gable roof over it like most people do around here for the snow loads. That layered look should work for a shallow pitch or a rounded roof like my son's. And a hell of a ;ot less weight on the old roof and side walls as you already stated. And super easy to use the snow rake to get what snow remains on the roof after a storm. Can't easily do that with a asphalt or fiberglass shingle roof!

In any event I'm glad to see the old place finished and know that you can now go out and play. All those lost nuggets have been screeming for someone to find them and bring them to the light!

Hope to see you next winter.

mike

Very nice! That's one heck of a transformation you guys did. The place really looks great Bob. That should last probably longer than you need.

Great job!

Joe Kauffman

Bob, what a difference! Didn't know you were such a handyman; that's great... now quit messin' around and go have some fun-in-the-sun!! :)

- Lunk -

Mike Furness. It was a rounded old style trailer roof , but I wanted to get rid of that old trailer look . By running 2x4s down the middle and fastening to the rafters with deck screws , then running another set of 2x4s down each side I then had a slightly pitched roof . Adding 1x4s at 20 inch spacing between the centerline and the roof edge I came up with a flat slope from from edge to peak . This also gave me room for a layer of 3/4 inch high density foam insulation with an R4 rating between the old roof and the new roofing. The old roof was wavy and saggy so it required lots of shimming to get everything leveled back out. The prep work took almost as much time as the roofing itself, but it made the end result almost perfect. The added on Arizona room as it's called here was much easier. It just required laying the sheets on top of the old asphalt roofing and screwing it down. By adding a double layer of 2x6s all the way around at the top of the walls it created an overhang and gave the siders something to run the top of the siding up against , again taking away some of the no gable or no overhang look of a trailer . The trailer look is now well disguised and it now looks more like a regular house although with somewhat odd architecture. I'll post a couple more pictures showing more details of how I did the roof. Also see that I took the old evaporative cooler off the roof where it had caused major damage from all the moisture and weight and cut a hole through the wall and placed a new side draft cooler on the end of the house where it isn't in the afternoon sun. It now draws air from a shady place , doesn't require climbing on the roof to maintain, and any water leaks fall harmlessly onto the ground. It seems to be at least 50% more efficient than the one on the roof was. I can tell already that cooling and heating costs will be geatly reduced. The light colored roofing isn't uncomfortable to put your bare skin against in 90 degree blazing sun. the old roof felt like you were putting your hand on a hot frying pan----Bob

Mike. I couldn't use the approach of putting what's called a "roof over" because of the 2 additions. This solution cost a fraction of what a roof over would have. Total cost was less than $1,500.00 and will last a lifetime. Total weight of the materials is only about 600 pounds, which spread over the whole structure is next to nothing and shouldn't cause any structural stress , and in fact I would bet it has a strengthening effect. ----Bob

Bob that really looks nice, I didn't know you were going to do that much work, it really made the property shine like a handfull of nuggets...WEll Done...Geo

Morning to ya Bob and Betsy: Your ideas and hard work have made an amazing transformation to your new home in Yarnell. Had I not seen the exterior and interior of your home b4 the improvements I would not know this "new home".

Well done my friends and congratulations !!!

Don

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the additional info. My younger son Eric ... you met my older boy Jay ... and I are already making plans for the roof project. There are a lot of places to shim on his roof too but it will look great when we are finished. We also have to repair an end wall that has some rot in it from a small roof leak.

And you are right the cost is reduced considerably and the strength is greatly increased without the build over weight. Add the snow weight in this part of the country ... well it could spell disaster if you don't clear it. :huh::o

Thanks again ... hope now you can find a few golden lumps. All I ask is that you save just a couple for me. I AM going to make it out this winter, Jan or Feb 08!!!!! Two years in a row not getting my desert fix is not a pretty site! ;)

Mike

Mike . I used 3inch screws to fasten the furring boards to the existing rafters. You can feel where the rafters are easily with your foot. If you want to make things easier you can just leave the round top look and order pieces long enough to span the entire width of the roof. You can order the steel cut to length at no extra charge which I did. The steel will make the gentle bend with no problem. By adding a peak to mine I had to get the spans in 2 sections to span each half of the roof. I then had to add a peak cap at extra cost and time to put it on. Be sure to order closure gaskets for each end of the steel and plenty of screws in matching color. Youi will need fastening screws and stitching screws.----Bob

Thanks again Bob. I really like the pitched roof look. Eric does too, so I think we are headed that direction. A little more work, as you stated, but it looks so much better.

I have enlisted my brother who is a carpenter builder in Maine and is very well versed in steel roofing ... His roof of choice for the north country rather than shingles. I have to say I agree with him. I will pass your advise on to him for planning purposes. He doesn't even know how to turn a computer on so all must go by snail mail to him. I like the idea of precut pieces ... what a time saver that is!

I'll send you some before and after shots once we get it done.

Mike