Lunk

DETECTING AROUND THE QUARTZSITE AREA

Howdy all, :)

Colorado Bob had an interesting idea of starting a thread about detecting around the Quartzsite area. I've been prospecting in the winter months there for over ten years now (time sure flies when you're having fun :rolleyes: ); I've found lots of nuggets there and met many interesting follks like the legendary Glenn Anderson and Rattlesnake John as well.

If anyone has experiences or anecdotes pertaining to the Quartzsite area that they would like to share, or just questions about it, it would be great to hear from you. :)

- Lunk -

Lunk,

I'll give away a couple of clues for those who don't know the area.

Have you ever worked the North Trigos? Some of that dirt is about as hot as the weather is here. Been some nice ones come out of there.

Have you ever worked the Livingston Hills area. Also been a good bit of gold taken from there with a detector. Gpaa also has a claim there.

For right now that's about as good as the clues are going to get.

Its a starting point for someone if they want to do a bit of research, could be worth their while. :)

Bob T.

Hi Lunk,

Funny who you meet out in the goldfields.

A couple years back I was out beeping and this

Fellow rides up on a Honda 90, or some little bike,

And starts chatting with me, and found we had a common friend,

Chuck Graff.

After chatting for a time, I knew I had seen this gentleman

Somewhere else, and finally it hit me.

I had seen him on a gold detecting video,

Detecting with the Pros.

I asked him if he had been in a gold video,

And he said yes.

Turned out this man was Glen Anderson.

Gary

Colorado,

Although I've frequented Quartzsite for over ten years, I went out to the North Trigo Peaks for the first time last winter for a day and found three little nuggets in an old raked patch on a hillside. The GPX-4000 handled the ground so well that I didn't realized the ground was that hot. But you can tell just by the look of the bright red dirt and ironstones. I'm also planning on doing a little beepin at the Livingston Hills (again for the first time) this coming winter. I just never have run out of gold at the Dome Rock area, so I haven't spent any time elsewhere in the Quartzsite area. :unsure:

Gary,

That is a great video that inspired me during my early days; in fact, when I went to Quartzsite for the first time, I looked up Glen Anderson. He was very kind and turned me on to a couple of spots out there, and I've been finding gold ever since. Helluva great guy and quite a prospector as well. :)

- Lunk -

I've always wanted to detect in the Quartzite area.

Even threatened to look up Colorado Bob for a day.

(we've been collaborating online building a Transporter

but have never met.)

The stories of the area have always fascinated me

and the moody landscape has a haunting beauty.

I have my 4000 dusted off.

Maybe this is the year...

Flak

Been thru there a couple of times but I just don't know anything about the area ...Geo

Hi Lunk, great idea. I found my first detected nugget in Ferrar Gulch about 7 years ago. It was pushed up in an overburden pile. I was in a small placer operation there and had been using a Tesoro Diablo for years with no success. Mostly just to check my tailings and poke around hoping to luck into a nugget. After that first one I was hooked. I started to get serious about detecting and haven't regretted it one bit.

These forums, and people like you, Bob, Chris,JP, Rob, Bill and many more, have provided a huge inspiration for thousands of us. I don't get out often but I can always sit down at the computer and get worked up just reading about others successes and adventures. Thanks again. Later...Jim P.

I've always wanted to detect in the Quartzite area.

Even threatened to look up Colorado Bob for a day.

(we've been collaborating online building a Transporter

but have never met.)

The stories of the area have always fascinated me

and the moody landscape has a haunting beauty.

I have my 4000 dusted off.

Maybe this is the year...

Flak

Come on down Flak, we'll have a nuggetshooting party! :D

Jim P. : glad to be of service, buddy! Always great to share the passion. :)

C'mon Montana, I know you want to post a good anecdote here... :rolleyes:

- Lunk -

Even though I don't have any gold from

that area I do have an antidote;

I went down to the Dome placers once in the early 80's with a Garrett Groundhog.

I didn't have the faintest idea what I was doing or where to look, but

I pulled off the freeway about a hundred yards in a wide open area and started

detecting. I got lost in the signals and the dream of the place and literally almost bumped

into a older fella who was standing watching me. I jumped a foot when I saw him.

He grinned and asked me if I was having any luck. I told him no and I didn't expect to

I was a beginner and didn't really know too much about gold detecting.

He said, oh well I was just wondering because you were hunting right

beside that little dug-out spot over there (he pointed to a depression in the desert floor),

the guy who dug that hole took a bathtub size bunch of dirty quartz out of it that was loaded

with gold.

I think he was serious.

Come on Montana...your turn.

Flak

Hey Flak,

You have threatened me for over a year now, and so far I haven't seen hide nor hair of you.

29Prospector came by a long while back. He wanted to do a demo for a couple of guys from Phoenix, so we went out and did a bit of drywashing. Think one of the guys bought the washer. Real nice group of guys.

Flak, just don't come by now unless you have a suit w/AC built into it. :rolleyes::P

Bob T.

Why don't you come by in late Oct. and I will take you over to see Elly, you can join the 24K and we will stay for the week-end push's or hunt other areas on the hill???? :blink:

I still remember my first trip to Quartzite years ago and it was a confusing one to say the least! A good mate of ours Bob Armstrong from Oz was in town and Chris, Steve, Bob and myself took off on a several day venture to see what we could stir up. I think the original plan was to check out a few Central Arizona spots that we had been researching and spend 3 days hitting these new prospects. 1 day into the trip we got a wild hair and decided to head to Quartzite and ended up making it a 5 day trip with quite a bit of gold coming out.

One morning the 4 of us were overlooking some new to us ground and deciding our directions. After I took a quick "leak" next to a bush Bob turned on and nailed a nice 4 grammer right in my foot prints.....we poked fun about the pee spot nugget for a bit but he definately ended up on the right end of the joke with a bit heavier poke! We ended that night cooking marinaded elk steaks that I brought to introduce Bob to Arizona game meat....

I will say after detecting much of Az, New Mexico and Australia, Quartzite took a bit of mental adjusting to for me. Being such a vast river placer it was tough for me to initially get the mind set of hunting that type of ground. But I was able to adjust and found some decent bits for my first trip.

....Memories! I'll have to dig out some photos of the trip now. Thanks for bringing up another enjoyable gold memory Lunk.

Joe Kauffman

Hi Colo. Bob,

Yes is has been an empty threat to come visit up til now.

Life doesn't respect the best laid plans.

I still am planning a trip and especially now that the Transporter

is sporting those new mods.

Late October? Hmmmm.

I'll keep trying.

Flak

Way back in 1986 or 87 I was living in Chino Valley and working in San Diego...I stopped at the Garret Dealers tent and was lucky to meet Charles Garrett in -the-flesh...he was very kind, very encouraging to me....I never did find a nugget with a Garrett detector but I have founds loads of coins and stuff with them......

Fred

Having worked with Montana in the 90's while living in Lake Havasu, I know he went to Quartzsite when 75,000 snowbirds show up in the winter but I don't remember him saying anything about prospecting. I always wondered how the solar panels that were stolen from the airport ended up at the swap meet, though. Any ideas, Bob? Just kidding!!!!

Whoelsebut,

Deb

Hey great stories so far folks, keep 'em coming! :) I wish I would have been in the Quartzsite goldfields in the early 80's with one of today's modern pulse-induction detectors; I would have cleaned UP! :lol:

- Lunk -

When I first got interested in prospecting, my wife spent a week camping in the area. I will never forget the fox that came into our camp and watched us eat dinner, what a treat! Or the the guy we met that let me help him dig and feed his dry washer and split the take with me at the end of the day. But the once in a lifetime event was the herd of Bighorn! Quartsite is a place that has it all, history, nature, natural buatey and GOLD.

Bunk

Come on Montana...your turn.

Flak

Mon - ta - NA! Mon - ta - NA! Mon - ta -NA!

- Lunk -

Howdy

We spent last winter in the big Q. The big problem was I spent to much time working, but when I could

get away I hit the 79 fields.

In Dec I bought a GPX from Chris and with luck 2 days later 2 friends and I decided to head out and try

our machines out. We went down to south Laposa east of the long term visitor area about 5 miles. As we know with a minelab you don't just jump out and go and being I just got it, it took me about 15 min to start

swinging. Well I only got about 50' from the truck and with a little luck hit a nice 1.1 grammer.

Needless to say I was in love with that detector.

We tryed the Dome rock area but could only find LOTS of trash.

I need to talk with Lunk again on that area.

Bob (Piep)

Howdy

We spent last winter in the big Q. The big problem was I spent to much time working, but when I could

get away I hit the 79 fields.

In Dec I bought a GPX from Chris and with luck 2 days later 2 friends and I decided to head out and try

our machines out. We went down to south Laposa east of the long term visitor area about 5 miles. As we know with a minelab you don't just jump out and go and being I just got it, it took me about 15 min to start

swinging. Well I only got about 50' from the truck and with a little luck hit a nice 1.1 grammer.

Needless to say I was in love with that detector.

We tryed the Dome rock area but could only find LOTS of trash.

I need to talk with Lunk again on that area.

Bob (Piep)

Piep,

Did you try a small ridge back there that has been raked almost clean? It was raked and worked by the VLFer's about 5 or 6 years ago.

There is two or three small but fairly long washs about a 1/4 or 1/2 mile before you get to the small ridge.

Been a few small ones come out of there.

Bob T.

i found many many nuggets in the quartzsite area back in the day & had a friend that found 47 oz with a backhoe & a detector B) me & him pulled 4 oz out of an old drift tunnel .. fun fun

theres still gold down there ...

good hunting

walt

WLTDWIZ, :)

Wow, that's a lot of gold! :blink: Cool pix, too!

Years ago my buddy Scott "Kansas" Rice and I were pokin' around in Ferrar Gulch just west of Quartzsite where we came upon an old drift tunnel. I've heard more horror stories than good ones about old tunnels, (in fact, I believe that your's is the first good one I've ever heard :blink: ) so when Kansas said, "Let's check it out!" I immediately declined and replied, "You just go ahead and good luck...but if you don't come back out, I get all your stuff!" Suprisingly he agreed as he disappeared into the blackness of the old mine tunnel, detector in hand. When he returned to the light of day a few minutes later, he grumbled that all he had dug were trash targets among the cactus thorns that had been dragged in by pack rats; YUK! :lol:

Although it worked out nicely for you and your friend inside the tunnel, I find plenty of nuggets on the outside; besides, the scenery is much better too! B) Thanks for your story, Walt, and good luck to you! :)

- Lunk -

PIX:

* A larger Dome Rock dink

* View of Middle Camp Mountain from a nugget patch at Dome Rock

* Some nuggets found in raked areas at Dome Rock (dime in center)