Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Porter

Guess where this is!

It's my turn to ask the questions Chris! :P

Hint:- You have been there! :D

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Tricky one, heh. Tiny rolling hills & spinifex, sure looks like the Pilbara, WA to me. My best guess is somewhere around Marble Bar :mellow:

That's quite a hole Mad Dog has got there. Speaking of holes, most of the deep targets I have dug over there have almost always turned out to be specimens. Have you ever noticed this? Any thoughts on why this happens?

Chris G.

Hi Chris,

I have had the same thing happen to me on numerous occasions. I think it has something to do with the way the gold is contained in the quartz. A lot of the specie's I have found, (especially in the Pilbara) have boomed out from the surface; this makes you think you have a big one on your hands (20 plus ounces). The one that Bob Armstrong found was a real faint signal noise at the start, but as the hole proceeded downwards the signal became louder and louder.

We were convinced it was either going to be a huge piece of gold or the cap of a reef, this sucker was a genuine three foot dig! Finding a specimen containing only 4 ounces of gold at that depth was disappointing to say the least. The specimen was blue quartz and the gold contained within was in sheets throughout the stone. This I feel, is what caused the good signal response; the only other thing could be some sort of halo effect. I know for instance the gold around Nullagine goes about 94% and Marble Bar goes as low as 82%, perhaps there is some copper and silver present that is leaching into the surrounding soil which is helping to present a larger target to the detector.

One thing I have noticed, when the SD2200 came out, our numbers of specimens increased and then with the release of the GP extreme they started to become more evident at depth. I feel these two PI’s lend themselves well to the detection of specimen gold.

Jonathan Porter

BTW Chris,

You are spot on, it is the Pilbara :rolleyes: , maybe we should join forces and become a pair of sniffer dogs :P

Jonathan Porter

Pic of some good specie's found in the Pilbara, Nine ounces all up when dollied. :D

Jonathan Porter

Hi all,

Here's a closer look at Mad Dog's deep hole and Speci. You would think he would at least smile! :P

That was a well deserved Specimen Bob, shame it wasn't bigger. :o

Jonathan Porter