Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Golden Surface Surprises!

Hi Guys,

I was just going through all my boxes of photos when I stumbbled across this little hummer. It was taken during the 1998 season when my father and I were working about 2 hours outside of Leonora, Western Australia. We were new to that part of the country and really had no clue what to expect. An ironstone covered flat caught my attention and I figured it was as good a place as any. I had heard about OZ's big deep nuggets, so I was really concentrating hard on listening for those faint whispers. Then whamoo, I hit this ripper of a signal that nearly blew off the headphones! I jumped back and glanced down expecting full well to see a big rusty can. No can, but a beautiful lump of yellow gold staring me in the face! I couldn't believe it, I didn't even dig it out until I ran back to the Troopie to grab the camera. After snapping off a few frames I reluctantly pried it from the soil. She tipped the scales at just a bit over a half ounce!

Chris

Chris are those little pieces around the central mass seperate,or do they connect to it under the soil?

Bob

Hi Bob,

The little bits of gold you see sticking out of the dirt on the right hand side are all part of the nugget. Finding nuggets right on top of the surface like this is rare, but it happens often enough to have its' own term called "specking".

I did not actually speck this nugget because I hit it with a detector first, but there are still people in Western Australia (mostly Aboriginal women) that find a decent amount of gold each year using only their eyes. Imagine the level of patience that must be involved!

Chris G.

Guest Jim P.

:blink: Hi Chris, great new forum. But how do I register? I can't find the register link anywhere.

Great shot of an inplace nugget. I love to dig down onto a nugget and expose it like that but I'v never seen it already done for you. would make one hell of a display piece if you could cement the surface and take it out in a cube. Thanks for all these great downunder photos. Later...Jim

Hi Jim,

When the new AZO banner went up it deleted the reistration area. This is only temporary, and we should have this restored sometime next week. In the meantime, you can still register yourself by following these steps:

1) Go to the opening AZO forum page,

2) Look towards the right in the middle of the screen where it says Quick Log In . Do you see all those little black dots? Delete them, then click Go,

3) Look under Useful Links and click "Register a new account",

4) Fill out the form, then hit Submit my registration.

This should get you going, if not, let me know. Been out doing any detecting lately?

Chris G.

Thanks Chris,

Worked fine. I found two a couple weeks ago at RH. Tried my hand at Greaterville last weekend with no success. Very diferent area worth more searching and researching.

See you later...Jim :)