Hi all.... I'm planning a trip to Greaterville in the near future. I live in NM and love southern AZ. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience MDing/Prospecting the GPAA claims in Greaterville. Looks like an interesting area. Can anyone provide me with input. Thanks in advance for your help. "Oro"

Hi Oro

The Desert Gold Diggers,INC. have claims around Greaterville and due's are 30.00 a year.You can go to www.desert-gold-diggers.org and take a look for yourself.I've been a member for two years but I have yet been on their claims.I don't know why I haven't but I'm always headed someplace else.I'm always going to meet someone at Rich Hill are near there.

Best to You!

Chuck Anders

Hi Oro

The Desert Gold Diggers,INC. have claims around Greaterville and due's are 30.00 a year.You can go to www.desert-gold-diggers.org and take a look for yourself.I've been a member for two years but I have yet been on their claims.I don't know why I haven't but I'm always headed someplace else.I'm always going to meet someone at Rich Hill are near there.

Best to You!

Chuck Anders

Thanks for the response, Chuck. I will definately contact them. Appreciate it. Have a nice day!

Hi Orogrande,

It’s a really good place for prospecting. :D You didn’t mention whether you were Dredging, Dry Washing, or Detecting. Desert Gold Seekers is a great club and some of there claims have good placers. Just make sure your vehicle and equipment have been double checked as you will rarely cross paths with other folks as you would at Stanton in case something were to fail. It’s all about having your bases covered down there and I’ve heard that certain places down in that region are being used to smuggle illegal’s and drugs into the US and the coyotes and the runner take on prisoners. I maybe making it sound worse then it is but I felt I should pass along what I’ve ran into down there. :ph34r: The same rules should be applied in the Yuma and Quartzite areas as well. In the past, in had not been worth mentioning but times have changed. Your GPAA claim book should cover what types of gold have been found and what is the best process for finding it, i.e metal detecting, etc. Good luck and you should have a blast down their, and not to mention that the temperatures right now are the best for that area as in the summer its well over 100+ degrees. :rolleyes:

Hi Oro,

I have heard of some nuggets being detected off the GPAA claims down that way. The trash can be bad in places, but those that persist through it are often rewarded with some beautiful lumps. Bring along a good pick and possibly a shovel because many of the targets are deep. Nuggets can be found on the hilltops, slopes and down in the gullies. If you work the gullies, keep the shovel close by! :)

Below is a photo I took on my last trip to GV - good luck!

The only thing you have to worry about in Greaterville are the weeds. With all the snow and rain so

far this year there the weeds will be at least to your knees if not higher. I have never seen any Illegals there let alone drug smugglers. I also hunt along the mexican border and never had any trouble, what

alot of people overlook is that there are alot of Border Patrol agents there even if you don't see them

(the BP) rest assure they know that you are there. Pack a gun anyway is always a good idea and be

prepare to use it if necessary.

Good luck going to greaterville without ever seeing anyone. Lots of campers/RV's, quads, and 4wheelers

there most days.

Hi Oro. I have spent the last 3 days prowling around Greaterville and Sierra Vista areas and plan to put in at least another week here. The Gardner Canyon directions were a bit confusing and I ended up lost and then was way north when I found out. I have seen a few jeepers and one police car parked back on a jeep trail ( thought he got me on radar for a minute and slammed on the brakes.. then realized I was crawling along in 4 wd ). Plenty of border patrol along the paved roads so I am sure there are many off trail that I didn't see. No smugglers seen yet. In the Sierra Vista area there is a nice dry creek in the Ash Canyon claim that shows a lot of workings. Miller Canyon claim has a dredgeable amount of water flowing. I found a million pieces of lead there but it started raining so my time was limited. Detected one small specimen that has some black stuff(silver?) and tiny specks of gold attached. Looked much like a piece of lead covered with dirt until washed!!! SO FAR !! Ken Gardner

Thanks to all of you for your very prompt and informative responses. I sincerely appreciate it. You make me feel like I'm home. I plan to MD/Drywash, so your input has been very helpful. Here in S. NM we have Border Patrol everywhere also, but illegals are not generally a problem. However it is my policy anytime I'm out, I OPENLY pack a 9mm on my belt for all to see. Never had a problem, thankfully, but believe in being prepared. What are the rules (laws) about openly packing in AZ? I don't want to run afoul of the law. Also where would you recommend I get some topo and land status maps of the area? I plan to camp with my popup tent trailer, but thought I would check into a campground in Huachuca City for the first day or so, until I can check the area out. It's only 30 miles from Greaterville and a good jumping off point for visits to Tombstone/Bisbee/Sierra Vista areas. Thanks again for all your kind responses. HH and have a nice day! "Oro"

Oro there is no problem in Arizona openly packing heat while prospecting. If you enter a bar, store where liquor is sold, etc. don't pack your firearm. Many people in Arizona have concealed carry permits.

Don